The joys of english teaching in BA!

irishvan

Registered
I have been teaching here for the last year and a half and last year actually managed to earn enough to cover my living expenses. This year however it has become much more difficult.
Then on Friday the crunch really came.
I was teaching 12 hours a week at one of the big electricity companies and there had been rumours of money problems for a few weeks. Christina will not allow them to increase the price of electricity before the election and two of the unions involved with them received 30% pay increases.
Then on Friday I received an email to say all my classes were cancelled from that time!!! So.........no opportunity to say goodbye to the students...nothing
I think I might try Brazil.....it could hardly be worse!

Why did my post get moved from the new posts when others posted after it didnt?

Sorry for your bad situation - but for sure - it has become more difficult this year. Personally, I have always had a lot of work here - more than I have hours in the day to teach - and still had to use savings to cover expenses (so good for you on that one)

So, last year I started actively seeking teaching work in Brazil. And I found out a few things - so I'll share what I know.

Brazil has strict laws on staying over your Visa so you need to be careful with that. Brazil does not advertise widely for native english teachers (you probably already know that if you check the international TEFL jobs websites) And, once last year and once this year I did apply for TEFL jobs in Brazil, had skype interviews, all fine etc, and they agreed to organise a work visa etc..........BUT they required me to be in my country of residence to start the application. (Apparently it's not negotiable to get the visa) I was in Buenos Aires and had no wish to return to my country of residence - so, I declined at that point.

I really hope your search in Brazil goes well, and if you don't encounter the difficulties I had - all the better. Good Luck

GOOD LUCK. You may remember i was among many offering you advice before you came. Glad you stuck it out as long as you did. I have had similiar difficulties with some companies, but still surviving.

All the best!

Back