The Minister of Security got assaulted by the protestors

The man and party that has dismissed peoples concerns about insecurity and violence is reaping what they have sowed.

Will the Peronists call this a "sensation" too? The anger people have is palpable, it's going to be a dramatic election year.

From my point of view, the bus drivers revealed themselves as the animals they are. They are absolutely vicious behind a wheel, more than willing to run down pedestrians, run traffic lights, and jump lanes without warning or indication. Plus, if you're a woman, they have this cute trick where they block the pedestrian crossing to ogle and obstruct you as you cross the road. I'd be happy if Berni took out the lot of them.

Other government officials must be taking notice of Berni's beating..!

Other government officials must be taking notice of Berni's beating..!
They have, and they're worried, all on background of course:

From the Casa Rosada they chose not to officially demonstrate after the events. They indicated that Fernández spoke with the Minister of National Security, Aníbal Fernández , and that he asked him to follow what happened. “What happened to Berni seemed serious to him”, they stated concisely and also avoided taking a position on the reaction of the bus drivers who attacked the minister.

Beyond the President's closest circle of collaborators, in other Frente de Todos terminals they are much more loquacious regarding what was seen this afternoon. They do not speak of what "happened to Berni" as a singular fact, but rather there is a coincidence that it is an alarm that cannot be ignored. "People are not well, there is tiredness and they're fed up", they admit with concern in other terminals of the ruling party.

“People are acting that way because everything the State has to offer them is insufficient: the police, justice, social support. The tear in the social fabric is increasing. Saying no is not having one foot beyond General Paz”, a man from the ruling party, who is part of the Executive Branch and reports to the ranks of Kirchnerism, was honest.

“The ground is very hot. Underestimating or denying the problem is not going to take us to any good place,” explained another official with an office near the Casa Rosada.

Berni gets lynched and the Casa Rosada's response is "Damn, that must suck for you." Again, couldn't have happened to a less sympathetic guy.

Very ugly situation, nothing justifies this.

The people here have had enough. I've noticed much more anger among people than since anytime I've been in Buenos Aires - 10 years off and on.

Expats are living well with the cheap peso, but working class Argentines are angry and barely getting by. Argentine professionals are fleeing to Europe at a greater rate than I can remember.

When the unions start to turn on the party of the unions, you know it’s at breaking point.

If it had have been a politician from another party the line from C5N would have been “bueno, violencia is bad, pero he deserved it as he failed in his duty to keep people safe”.

Very ugly situation, nothing justifies this.

The people here have had enough. I've noticed much more anger among people than since anytime I've been in Buenos Aires - 10 years off and on.
When the unions start to turn on the party of the unions, you know it’s at breaking point.

If it had have been a politician from another party the line from C5N would have been “bueno, violencia is bad, pero he deserved it as he failed in his duty to keep people safe”.
I don't support the violence, but I get why it's happening, and I have no sympathy for Berni because he has been telling the people of Zona Sur to basically stop complaining for as long as he's been Minister of Insecurity. I hear it from my in laws, they don't waste time calling the police in Zona Sur because they won't come nor do anything about it when they're robbed.

I remember living here in ~2014 and the lynchings that were common because the police just didn't care, and didn't show up, even in CABA. Two stick out in my memory: I remember one in the conrubano where this guy tried to rob this woman because she was taking her baby for a walk in the stroller and she was distracted. The neighbors found out and IIRC they had basically beaten him to death by the time the police came, and he died on the way to the hospital. The other was random people beating the shit out of a guy who tried to steal a tourist's purse in Palermo, it took the cops 30 minutes to come. THIRTY minutes.

The bus driver killed was 65, 1 month away from retirement, and was respected by his peers, having put in his time since 1991. I accidentally saw the video of how passengers found him, I have a pretty strong stomach but it was enough to make me feel unwell. You can't look at the state of things in Argentina, even in the sheltered lives many expats/immigrants/retirees live here and think things are okay for Argentines. And with bus drivers in particular, there has been tons of cases where people are throwing rocks/small boulders/bricks from overpasses on them, or just insecurity in general where the companies that run the buses have straight up told municipalities they'll no longer serve route X after sunset because it's too dangerous.

I have felt like I could cut the tension in the atmosphere with a knife increasingly these last few months, and wondered if it was just me, but after today I'm fairly certain other people are feeling it too.

I don't support the violence, but I get why it's happening, and I have no sympathy for Berni because he has been telling the people of Zona Sur to basically stop complaining for as long as he's been Minister of Insecurity. I hear it from my in laws, they don't waste time calling the police in Zona Sur because they won't come nor do anything about it when they're robbed.

I remember living here in ~2014 and the lynchings that were common because the police just didn't care, and didn't show up, even in CABA. Two stick out in my memory: I remember one in the conrubano where this guy tried to rob this woman because she was taking her baby for a walk in the stroller and she was distracted. The neighbors found out and IIRC they had basically beaten him to death by the time the police came, and he died on the way to the hospital. The other was random people beating the shit out of a guy who tried to steal a tourist's purse in Palermo, it took the cops 30 minutes to come. THIRTY minutes.

The bus driver killed was 65, 1 month away from retirement, and was respected by his peers, having put in his time since 1991. I accidentally saw the video of how passengers found him, I have a pretty strong stomach but it was enough to make me feel unwell. You can't look at the state of things in Argentina, even in the sheltered lives many expats/immigrants/retirees live here and think things are okay for Argentines. And with bus drivers in particular, there has been tons of cases where people are throwing rocks/small boulders/bricks from overpasses on them, or just insecurity in general where the companies that run the buses have straight up told municipalities they'll no longer serve route X after sunset because it's too dangerous.

I have felt like I could cut the tension in the atmosphere with a knife increasingly these last few months, and wondered if it was just me, but after today I'm fairly certain other people are feeling it too.

Their anger is definitely justified. I don't condone violence. It's hard to feel sorry for Berni - a corrupt, wealthy, and powerful government official who has contributed to an environment where the working class is victimized on a daily basis.

Back