"The Rise Of The TechnoLatinas" on TechCrunch

Yeah, Argentina's prominence in this movement is slowing down. I was involved with a couple of development companies here that were doing great in 2005 through maybe 2008 but are seeing their business dwindle as rising costs and other restrictions force them to raise their prices to costs comparable to similar development costs in the States. Add to that the general inefficiencies and lack of customer service you see here...

Most of the Argentine guys and gals I know here struggle when on local incomes, but the majority seek contractor jobs from companies in the States and Europe, telecommuting, where the salaries and bonuses are better. Even that's becoming a problem here, though, as the government restricts currencies. I pay two people now via a cueva - they both have bank accounts in the States but prefer to get cash here. Sometimes we mix it up as to where I send the money.

Of course, about a third of those that I know have, or are in the process of getting, passports to other countries through their family ties...

As in most things, Argentina could be so well positioned to take advantage of things like this, but are screwing it up royally while other Latin American countries move forward.

Back