The Science Behind It

Girino

Registered
I'd like to collect here some weird ideas we heard from Argentinians. Those that instantly make your face turn into a WTF?! exp<b></b>ression, that leave you speechless, or that simply make it not worth the fight.

Mine so fare:
  • "You should use less butter in your cookies because that's why you have pimples." (hormones, anyone?)
  • "I use Stevia because it is healthier than sugar" (aspartame, ever heard?!)
  • "You shouldn't be having more than two eggs at once, or eat two bananas straight." (2014, here we come!)

I'd like to collect here some weird ideas we heard from Argentinians. Those that instantly make your face turn into a WTF?! exp<b></b>ression, that leave you speechless, or that simply make it not worth the fight.

Mine so fare:
  • "You should use less butter in your cookies because that's why you have pimples." (hormones, anyone?)
  • "I use Stevia because it is healthier than sugar" (aspartame, ever heard?!)
  • "You shouldn't be having more than two eggs at once, or eat two bananas straight." (2014, here we come!)
I think you can make a solid case that stevia is healthier than sugar or aspartame. Stevia comes from natural sources and is less likely to cause problems that a chemical synthesized product like aspartame. Of course, natural products, can be dangerous (sugar, tobacco, arsenic) - just less likely than synthesized products - and especially when they have been in used for long periods of time.

The plant Stevia rebaudiana has a long history of ethnomedical use by the Guaraní, having been used extensively by them for more than 1,500 years.[sup][10][/sup] The leaves have been traditionally used for hundreds of years in both Brazil and Paraguay to sweeten local teas and medicines, and as a "sweet treat".[sup][10][/sup]

So Stevia is not that artificial sugar thing they sell elsewhere in the world?
How come they talk about Stevia in Breaking Bad, did the Guaraníes move to Albuquerque?

Are those specifically Argentine? I wouldn't have thought so.

Are Americans, Italians, Irish or any other nationality immune from making untrue statements? Not in my experience.

The food police are alive and well the world over. The tales will vary a bit from country to country.
US has been saying salt bad for a very long time, just recently tho the CDC said, oops we got that wrong plenty of salt is just fine.
There are hundreds of examples.

The food police are alive and well the world over. The tales will vary a bit from country to country.
US has been saying salt bad for a very long time, just recently tho the CDC said, oops we got that wrong plenty of salt is just fine.
There are hundreds of examples.

Did you hear that on Fox / Sky News or do you have a reliable source for that?

Are those specifically Argentine? I wouldn't have thought so.

Are Americans, Italians, Irish or any other nationality immune from making untrue statements? Not in my experience.

Every place has theirs, but since this is a BAExpat forum I thought to limit this to Argentine. Besides, the science behind it should have the final word on them, not common beliefs.
In Italy they say Nutella is responsible for pimples, or chocolate, or salame. But butter, that's new to me.
Besides, I really think one should be ignorant and tactless to make comments about someone else' skin so lightly. I am in my 30's and I have an acne problem, clearly that is not because I like sweets, but because I have hormonal issues. I know there are treatments, but I also read about side effects and thanks, but no thanks. I'll live with my pimples.

But what could I explain to a person that comes out with such statement as "butter in cookies is the cause of pimples"? "Read Wikipedia, at least?"

People want black and white answers to their questions, viz. Salt is bad for you or Salt is not bad for you. Unfortunately answers to complicated questions are invariably nuanced.

Regarding salt, some people seem to be salt sensitive, i.e. too much salt raises their blood pressure. Other people are not salt sensitive. Others do not have high blood pressure so salt is not a concern. But I think that is pretty well established that for salt sensitive people they can reduce or eliminate blood pressure medications by significantly reducing their salt intake.

Government policy on food consumption is shaped by economics and lobbyist, in the US, in Europe, where ever there is money.

Back