There we go again

The agriculture sector is the engine that drives the Argentine economy, and one of the most efficient in the world.

Risking Ventanilla's wrath, I'll confess that I personally know several landowners here. If taxed too high, they simply take land out of production or switch to less desirable, lower taxed crops. During K's high "retention" times, out of four trucks that left their establishments, three went for taxes and only one remained for the producer.

The 'agriculture sector' is highly concentrated into the hands of old money landowners who inherited vast swathes of land by the grace of birth. They don't like paying taxes? Well, seize their land, split it up about 100 times more, should help with caring about their own people when those who own it are actually normal people interested in producing for the nation and not just to line their already impossibly rich pockets slightly more.

Argentina never had the really impactful land reform of many other nations in the region and it shows.

Argentina never had the really impactful land reform of many other nations in the region and it shows.
Which countries? I'm only familiar with Peru, where a friend's long-standing citrus orchards were seized by the workers. They didn't know how to take care of the trees' health, so in two years they were dead and ended up as firewood.

No landowner, no trees, no jobs, either. Great idea.....!

Last edited:
The 'agriculture sector' is highly concentrated into the hands of old money landowners who inherited vast swathes of land by the grace of birth. They don't like paying taxes? Well, seize their land, split it up about 100 times more, should help with caring about their own people when those who own it are actually normal people interested in producing for the nation and not just to line their already impossibly rich pockets slightly more.

Seize land? you mean by force?

Seize land? you mean by force?

You have very radical views that are dangerous . Your polices did not work in Zimbawe once one of the richest countries of Africa . Mugabe confiscated all the productive lands of the settlers and sent his country to financial ruin .

Making money is not a sin Ventanilla and the taxes that farmers pay in Argentina are extremely high .

The 'farmers' do not pay the taxes, the land owners do. The farmers are incredibly poorly paid agricultural laborers, exploited like hell and working in abominable conditions. While Argentina does have cooperatives that work their own land, most agriculture is owned by massive land-holding families, most of whom are worth hundreds of millions of dollars, some of whom are billionaires. These same families are currently dumping their milk into the gutter in a country undergoing a hunger crisis. They have no morals whatsoever, they care about nothing but their profits and if they have to pay even an ounce of extra tax then their people can starve for all they care. If you watch this video and you DON'T want their land to be seized, then you just don't care about human beings.

Land reform is also not a radical view at all, it has been undertaken by a plethora of very boring centrist governments. It's the only way to correct the legacy of agriculture dominated by huge holdings from colonial times. The simple idea that agricultural land should be owned by those who work it, rather than absentee millionaire magnates, is the foundation of every single peasant's movement in Latin American history.

I have to admit though, it's pretty funny to see expats getting all huff and puff defending the literal Latin American agriculture oligarchy and acting like land reform is some sort of insane idea that only Stalin could possibly come up with. You guys need some serious history lessons.

This person is extremely radical and what she is professing on this site is tantamount to communism which has NEVER WORKED ANYWHERE .

Land reform is not my proposal, it's been a core demand of Latin American peasant movements for centuries. Almost every LATAM country has had some degree of land reform already and the vast majority was instituted by liberal (ie: not 'TANTAMOUNT TO COMMUNISM') governments. I don't get what it is with calling literally everything you don't understand communism.

The idea that huge swathes land shouldn't be concentrated in the hands of people who've had it in their family for 200 years, who dump their produce into the gutter in the middle of a hunger crisis rather than pay slightly more tax, is about the least radical thing ever. All I can think is that you're against it because you're worried it would slightly raise prices for your expat lifestyle.

Back