Things To Do In Ba During The Day, Any Suggestions?

Brunette36

Registered
I have two English friends, a couple in their early 50s; I have known them for 3 years now and the guy is the current boss of my ex-husband's boss (bizarre, I know). He was posted to BA for 3 years 10 years ago so they know BA well. They normally visit Argentina 3-4 times a year (work and pleasure) but his diary is usually quite full so we either have brunch or dinner and get drunk. Yay! They are coming for 5 days (first days of January), the city is dead, I am their only friend in town this time and I have no idea what we can do during the day. Any suggestions? She is quite relaxed and good fun. He is more formal and loves to hang out in the Recoleta/City centre area. I don't think they speak much Spanish. I don't have a car. THANKS!

If they rent a car maybe you could take them to some places outside the city: el mercadito de Maschwitz, el puerto de frutos, or maybe even a day trip to Lujan.

I don't know why but I can't see them leaving Recoleta and doing the usual touristy things. He is a banker, the stiff-upper lip type, only relaxed when he is talking about football or sipping some wine. I would like to do something they like as they are so kind to me.

MALBA is always nice... And the Museo Evita? With a nice lunch at the museum restaurant after. (After the expat dinner thread I am scared to suggest something Peron-ish haha! But the museum is well done and the restaurant is good.) Places with air conditioning are nice in the heat! I would also pick out cute and good places for meals and check if they are open, so you don't get stuck eating at bad places because your normal places are closed for holidays. I didn't go to the coffee chat there, but I heard that La Marguerite Patisserie in Belgrano is lovely, with a nice garden etc. 11 de Septiembre 2620 (Belgrano between Ugarte and Roosevelt).

Are you sure they don't want to try a Dia de Campo or something like that? There are nice options with private car pickup etc. And some places still have polo in January so they could have asado, watch some polo, use the pool etc.

The Museum Evita suggestion is excellent! That's a good option. The asado/Polo might work, the bank sponsors el Abierto de Palermo so they always come for the final but I am not sure if it's not a duty more than pleasure. He is bonkers about Boca Juniors, though.

See if you can get tickets for the opera theater, take them to the Plaza Hotel bar in the afternoon for a cocktail, high tea at the Alvear Hotel, Take him to Boca Juniors museum in La Boca ( take a radio taxi or remis )

I have never been to the Plaza Hotel for a cocktail but I have heard it is great. Good one. They either stay at the Alvear or the Hyatt so we usually go to these places for brunch. The best high tea used to be at the Claridge Hotel, they told me so they know all these places well. They must have been to the Boca Juniour museum.

I don't know why but I can't see them leaving Recoleta and doing the usual touristy things. He is a banker, the stiff-upper lip type, only relaxed when he is talking about football or sipping some wine. I would like to do something they like as they are so kind to me.

The Berni exhibition at MALBA makes a nice wake-up call for a still-upper-lip banker. It's there until February 23rd.

MALBA is always nice... And the Museo Evita? With a nice lunch at the museum restaurant after. (After the expat dinner thread I am scared to suggest something Peron-ish haha! But the museum is well done and the restaurant is good.) Places with air conditioning are nice in the heat! I would also pick out cute and good places for meals and check if they are open, so you don't get stuck eating at bad places because your normal places are closed for holidays. I didn't go to the coffee chat there, but I heard that La Marguerite Patisserie in Belgrano is lovely, with a nice garden etc. 11 de Septiembre 2620 (Belgrano between Ugarte and Roosevelt).

Are you sure they don't want to try a Dia de Campo or something like that? There are nice options with private car pickup etc. And some places still have polo in January so they could have asado, watch some polo, use the pool etc.

The Museo Evita restaurant is excellent, and moderately priced by Palermo standards.

Back