Thinking Of Coming Back--Question About Prices And Andes

polostar88

Registered
I lived in Buenos Aires in 2010-2011 for a year. At the time the exchange rate was less than it is now, and I managed to live quite comfortably on around $1500/month, which included a good apt., eating out, going out, etc.; I'm wondering if the cost of living has gone down in terms of dollars since then.

I'm also curious if anyone has info on renting a cabin (or house) somewhere picturesque; I think Bariloche is probably overpriced, but if anyone has info on where I could rent a comfortable but basic place with a mountain view, I would be grateful.

Even though I haven't been there in a while, in exchange I can offer some decent info. on restaurants and on finding good affordable apts. in Buenos Aires.

Thanks!

+1
I'm looking myself into the possibility of moving to El Bolson (it's ok, I've partied enough in my life, don't need to go much out now, lol).

I found some chalets to buy in El Bolson, with a piece of land, for under 100.000 pesos. Thinking of buying one while I build my house on a bigger field outside of El Bolson (4.000 square meters cost about 200.000 pesos). So I guess the rental prices are likely affordable as well.

Would be interesting to know what people living in the area of Bariloche/El Bolson think.

+1
I'm looking myself into the possibility of moving to El Bolson (it's ok, I've partied enough in my life, don't need to go much out now, lol).

I found some chalets to buy in El Bolson, with a piece of land, for under 100.000 pesos. Thinking of buying one while I build my house on a bigger field outside of El Bolson (4.000 square meters cost about 200.000 pesos). So I guess the rental prices are likely affordable as well.

Would be interesting to know what people living in the area of Bariloche/El Bolson think.

Are you in Buenos Aires right now? How is the cost of living there on dollars?

I believe there's one or two threads in the forum telling about the life in dollars here :p
More seriously, the answer depends on which side of General Paz you live in.

With 1500 USD, it's a bit short in my opinion (and I belong to the "optimists" here).

I believe there's one or two threads in the forum telling about the life in dollars here :p
More seriously, the answer depends on which side of General Paz you live in.

With 1500 USD, it's a bit short in my opinion (and I belong to the "optimists" here).

I lived on the "good side" of Santa Fe, around the corner from El Ateneo library. I only paid about $700/month for a decent/renovated apt. with wifi and everything. The remaining $750-850/month covered eating out almost every day, going out, etc.; this was in 2010-2011 when people were saying that it would be "hard" to live on $1500/month. Now the dollar is stronger, so I wanted to make sure.

My opinion is that people consistently overpay for apts. especially in BsAs.

I'm not much up to date anymore with prices in the city so I cannot help.
As an example, 40 km away from BA I thought that paying tomatoes 10/11 pesos per kilo was way too much until I discovered today they are priced up to 20 pesos in the city.

As usual, what you pay X, you may also pay it 3X or 1/3X depending on your living habits.

Prices have probably increased about 75% since 2010. If you can bring dollars down and exchange them on the blue market, it will help cushion the pain.

1500 personally, I couldn't come close to living on but YMMV.

Prices have probably increased about 75% since 2010. If you can bring dollars down and exchange them on the blue market, it will help cushion the pain.

1500 personally, I couldn't come close to living on but YMMV.

But since the time I was there, even the official exchange rate has increased about 50%, so is it really that bad in terms of dollars?
I don't understand what people are spending money on there. Are you guys all overpaying for apts.? Going shopping for shoes, etc.? Maybe I went up to $2000 often but that's because I went out a lot. I ate out literally every day, at nice places; how is it possible that $1500/month is not enough?

Also, any advice on rural locations? In Uruguay you can rent a very nice rural house for next to nothing. I'm wondering if people know of places in Argentina, whether near Bariloche, or Salta, etc., where you can rent a good, comfortable cabin with mountain views and a peaceful atmosphere.

I have been living on ~ 6k/month pesos in hand for the past few months (thankfully getting a big raise this month) and I was able to break even. I pay $2600 pesos in rent for an older 2 bedroom apartment in microcentro (my portion is 2600). I usually buy food ready to eat but I don't do too much fine dining. I usually go to bars 1-2x / week. Don't go clubbing too much.

With $1500 you should be able to get with Zoom $9500 or so, not sure of today's current rate. I think you can definitely do it, but I wouldn't expect too much luxury.

Basic food and toiletry items are hyper-inflated right now. 100 pesos will buy you one bag of stuff. Butter $9, jam $16, milk $7.50, small jar coffee $18, small beer $7.50, small coke $6.50, cheese $15, deodorant $20, mouthwash $20....it's easy to spend $100 a day just at the store.

Back