Thinking of coming back to BA

blacklegions

Registered
I'm thinking of coming back to BA but I'd like some recommendations from the users here...I've never been there in the winter. I left one time in June and another time I got there during an unseasonably warm August. My question is...how bad does winter really get? I don't mean just the weather, but will everyone be staying inside? Do things become "dead" during winter, etc.? On the good side, would I be able to get better deals on apartments during winter? Overall do you think it's worth it to go? Also how are things right now in BA...cities have "cycles," are there interesting things going on, etc., are the people in a good mood.

On a related note, how cold does it get in Bariloche or near the Andes? Would that make a good country-living trip during winter?

Well OK...I thought maybe someone could give me some advice...on whether it's worth it to come to BA over the winter. Specifically, if the city's dead over the winter, etc.
Thanks!

Malvinas said:
We're discussing Bariloche in this thread. Post your question there. http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/9614-recommend-city.html

Bariloche would be interesting during winter maybe...but my question is quite simple...is Buenos Aires interesting in June/July, or should I plan on going somewhere else and skip it for now? I just don't want to be stuck inside all day or have the city be dead.

Winter can be a little cold...... I dont mind a cooler day....
You will see people dressed like they are going to the south pole on a 50 degree day.....But is BA ever quiet and "dead"... NO there are 13 million people here!!!
I think life does slow a little here you dont see people out as much, as in the summer... and people are not packed into the outside bar tables etc etc.... But it is a huge city.. still plenty going on!!!!... I think there is less tourism in winter.. so maybe you can get a better deal.. but I really dont think rent apts discount for the "season" or off-season like hotels... but maybe you can make a better deal.. supply and demand.............
I dont want to mess with snow.. and I dont ski well enough to make it worth it.. so I wouldnt go to Barioloche myself in winter.. but I bet it is beautiful with snow!!
Come down........ anytime can be fun and great in Buenos Aires!!!!! IT IS NEVER DEAD..........winter is a geat time to drink some vino .. a cool day and a glass of malbec......perfect!!!

I have to admit I don't really understand the question.... Does Paris become dead in winter? Does London? Or New York? It's a big city! People live here all year round. Maybe they put on a bit more clothes before going outside in "winter" (since I'm from Sweden I concider the argentine notion of winter as a chiste...) but it won't stop them from having fun or going out.

blacklegions said:
Bariloche would be interesting during winter maybe...but my question is quite simple...is Buenos Aires interesting in June/July, or should I plan on going somewhere else and skip it for now? I just don't want to be stuck inside all day or have the city be dead.

This year it's going to be wicked because there will be a World Cup going on. It will be amazing.

Also, there will be Art Gallery night the last Friday of June & July, and then there's Flag Day in June and the 2nd Independence Day (thought not a 2nd Bicentenario... yet) in July, and then you'll have the cold weather and the short days, and protests, and presidential graft and... well it will be AWESOME!!

blondie said:
I have to admit I don't really understand the question.... Does Paris become dead in winter? Does London? Or New York? It's a big city! People live here all year round. Maybe they put on a bit more clothes before going outside in "winter" (since I'm from Sweden I concider the argentine notion of winter as a chiste...) but it won't stop them from having fun or going out.

Yes...at certain points of very cold winters in NY it gets very bad...no one outside, fewer people willing to go out and also cities have cycles...it's hard to describe.

The question is especially easy to understand with RE to BA because of January and February when the city is indeed dead and also the weather is very unpleasant.

The city is dead in January and February because everyone goes on vacation because the weather is hot - beach weather!

The city does slow down a bit over the winter, but not as much as January and February.

Personally, I would prefer not to come as a tourist during the winter, but I'm sure there are still many things to see and do. As Napolean said, I'm sure with the World Cup there will be a bit of excitement at least.

BTW - it has only snowed here once in 90 years or so (91 now?). That was a couple of years ago and the snow barely stuck - maybe about 1/2 inch overnight.

I've rarely needed to bundle up tight here for winter. I can usually get by with a sweater and a jacket at worst, except for the coldest few days.

Back