Thinking Of Retiring In Ba. Have A Few Questions.

stefano

Registered
Hi out there. I'm thinking about retiring in BA. I'll have my rent covered and if I like it there, I'll look into buying a loft in SoHo. My question is, after housing costs, can I live comfortably on $1,500 to $2,000 (US) a month? I don't expect to eat caviar but I don't want to eat dog food either. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Its generally impossible to answer questions like this without knowing how you define comfortabl since that varies hugely between people, but, in this case I'd say that with 2000 dollars or 16500 pesos you'd be a long way from dog food and not too far from caviar (uruguayan ;) ).

However, and this is huge, you cannot plan on that being the case in a year much less in 10 or 20. I would only retire here if you are OK with the possibility that you may have to sell your SOHO loft and pocket less than 50% of its purchase price and take that money and your 2000 a month relocate to another country.

Welcome to Shangri-la, as a retiree myself can answer some of the questions

With $1500 US rent free, at the current black market rate of lets assume $8 pesos to the dollar you can certainly live comfortably
Some issues to consider a health insurance plan for 65+ can be expensive up to US$ 700 per month at Hospital Aleman!! Blue dollar rate.
Some supermarkets and Farmacies offer SENIOR discounts .

Stefano,
Yes without question it's possible to live nicely on that amount rent free. But really, you should come stay and live awhile as a permanent expat (not as a snowbird tourist, which frankly changes one's perspective). Then and only then decide if you want to retire here. There is much more to this decision than economics.
Suerte,
Jim

Do your housing costs include purchases related to furnishing your loft? If you want to by a good quality tv, fridge, sofa, washer/dryer, washing machine, bed etc, these things are very expensive here. You could easily spend 10,000 dollars doing that.

Yeah I agree with others, I wouldnt make a call without spending some considerable time here first, especially if you want to buy. Now is an interesting time to be involved in the property market, particularly as a foreigner (should you need to get that cash out).

Thanks to all for the advice. I do plan on renting prior to committing to a purchase. It does take some time to get the lay of the land (anywhere). And perhaps, renting is the only way to go. I own property now and it is an occasional pain to keep it up. Maybe it's best to leave that to a landlord. At least for a while. BTW, I have looked at some lofts to buy/rent and have saw a couple of reasonably priced lofts listed on this realtor's website. That's what intially got the wheels turning. http://www.jaimejensen.com/

The cost of health care does concern me. As I age, I know that I'll have to keep a keen eye on any health issues that may pop up. $700 a month? That's pricey.

Again, thanks to all for the info and I'll keep researching the retirement topic.

Thanks to all for the advice. I do plan on renting prior to committing to a purchase. It does take some time to get the lay of the land (anywhere). And perhaps, renting is the only way to go. I own property now and it is an occasional pain to keep it up. Maybe it's best to leave that to a landlord. At least for a while. BTW, I have looked at some lofts to buy/rent and have saw a couple of reasonably priced lofts listed on this realtor's website. That's what intially got the wheels turning. http://www.jaimejensen.com/

The cost of health care does concern me. As I age, I know that I'll have to keep a keen eye on any health issues that may pop up. $700 a month? That's pricey.

Again, thanks to all for the info and I'll keep researching the retirement topic.
700 would be for the best of the best i want to guess lol, that sound crazy man how old are you 200 years? :p , pay the treatment you need in cash before spending that amount.

To buy something you most certainly would have to be 'all in" - If you were to want to sell as law is now you'll be selling in pesos then converting to dollars and incurring fees along the way.

Back