This Visa process is CONFUSING!

QBAlady

Registered
I have so many questions and I would really appreciate any answers, even if it just means linking me to another thread. Thank you!

I have just moved back to Buenos Aires two months ago after being away for two years (I studied here for six months in the past). I am now working, but I want to start my visa process ASAP, since a DNI is quite useful!

I am currently considering a few options. Where I work I would have to apply as a monotributista BUT I am not making enough to meet the requirements for this visa. I was thinking of enrolling in a class in the UBA as well in order to get a student visa and residency, then continue from there. Is this a better option? Or can I apply for residency without having to apply for a work visa? (I´d really like to have a temporary visa and DNI, for example).

Also, if I want to get a background check in my country (the US), is it faster to do so when I go there in December?

Thank you all for any info and for the buena onda :)

QBAlady said:
ps Does the process get easier if you get married?

If you marry an Argentine citizen or permanent resident the answer is a resounding YES!.

QBAlady said:
I have so many questions and I would really appreciate any answers, even if it just means linking me to another thread. Thank you!

I have just moved back to Buenos Aires two months ago after being away for two years (I studied here for six months in the past). I am now working, but I want to start my visa process ASAP, since a DNI is quite useful!

I am currently considering a few options. Where I work I would have to apply as a monotributista BUT I am not making enough to meet the requirements for this visa. I was thinking of enrolling in a class in the UBA as well in order to get a student visa and residency, then continue from there. Is this a better option? Or can I apply for residency without having to apply for a work visa? (I´d really like to have a temporary visa and DNI, for example).

Also, if I want to get a background check in my country (the US), is it faster to do so when I go there in December?

Thank you all for any info and for the buena onda :)

You indicated you are working, but are you employed?

You cannot get a visa rentista using income earned in Argentina (and that is the visa that has a specific income requirement).

If you are employed it is your employer's responsibility to be registered with migraciones and "assist" you in getting a "work" visa.

Monotributista is not a visa category as far as I know but, I could be wrong. It allows self employed people to invoice and saves those self-employed a little on taxes. You already need a DNI to register as a monotributista. I think you are thinking of the rentista visa that does have a specific income requirement like Steve mentioned.

Marriage is probably the easiest way to permanent residency but, I wouldn´t recommend getting married just because. However, if you are approaching that decision be aware that getting all the documents put together takes a while. It took me 6 months or so to receive all the docs that I needed. For example, you will need a criminal background check from the FBI if you are from the U.S. with apostille among other things.

I saved a couple links from this forum because I need to go through the same thing soon as well... lots of good info.
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/17512-residency-ba-migraciones-september-2011-update.html

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10485-residency-after-marriage.html

I'm getting married in February so going to wait until then. I have 2 overstays and 2 Colonia trips in my passport, so hopefully I'll have no issues leaving next week and coming back in January... going to do some wedding shopping with mom. ;)

It seems I will have to wait until I'm back in Argentina before asking for the FBI check, no? It'd be nice to get a head start while there, but perhaps Argentine authorities might think I was trying to fit in some last minute crimes before coming back to stay.

I would put in the request for the FBI check while you are in the US and get your fingerprints done there and send it in. It will take 3 months (as least) for the FBI report to come and then you will need it apostilled. So if you put the request in Nov, you should have it by February.

Thanks for the info, especially you EClair. Don´t think I´m going to get married for the visa, but I have discussed the option with my boyfriend (Argentine).

Still wondering then if it´s better to apply as a student: I am working but not for a company that offers a contract and help getting the visa.

Thanks!

Two broad visa questions: Can anyone provide a link to authoritative info. on a pensionado visa? I know it exists, but can´t find it on the government site. Is it true that the law was changed to require proof of $2,000 USD entering Argentina every month?
The other question is monotributista. Who is this type of visa for and what are the pros and cons of getting one? Thanks.

Back