Timeline For Moving To Bsas

jking1904

Registered
Hi! My name is Jessica and I have just returned to the USA from a 5 month stay in Buenos Aires and needless to say, I fell in love. Something I think we can all agree on is once you've been bitten by the BsAs bug, no amount of subte petty theft, lack of spicy food, or occasional step in dog shit can truly deter our love for this crazy and equally amazing city. That being said, I am graduating from university in May and my grand plan is to move down in August.

My hope is that perhaps someone can give me a suggested timeline for when I need to get the ball rolling on certain necessities for what am I calling "The Great Move", such as when I should find a place and put the deposit down (something I should do a month before, or a week before?), as well as ANY help on visa documents would be greatly appreciated.

Just for some background info, my plan is to move down by August, and I am looking to join a teaching abroad program (specifically TEFL Argentina, any feedback on that if you have would be awesome, or any advice on those type of programs in general) and as far as my living situation I have loose plans to live with a friend in the Palermo area (also a USA citizen) and we are hoping to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe 8000 pesos a month? Does that sound reasonable?

I hope that is enough info, thanks in advance for the help!

- Jess

Ceviche san !! Your wisdom is utterly needed

Hope your mom and dad have a fat bank account and a generous disposition, because teaching English won't pay that rent.

Well maybe with the roommate ... $3000 pesos each plus another $3000 minimum in Other is $6000 or 60 hours of private lessons, or 3 hrs per day,,,!

Stay in a hostel to start of book something for a month....! then when you are here find the ideal place in Palermo.... no deposits in advance via internet without seeing the place first....

Yes, the goal is to split rent and everything 50/50 so it's not cost that's my main concern but more of the process; I'm totally aware of how things tend to work in BsAs aka not exactly by the book, so I was hoping what was the most common method of getting housing and when I need to start seriously looking as opposed to browsing

& no, my dad is not Daddy Warbucks (much to my disappointment) which is why I work 40 hours a week and am saving for this big move..I would like to think I have a pretty good grip on how much things will be for me once I arrive having lived there already, but for now I need help for housing and making the MOVE specifically.

Thanks to those who have reached out already, and I look forward to more advice!

Jking1904?

I had three questions, before I offer any advice.

aa. Are you the one with blond hair or the one with dark hair?

bb) Were you born in 1904?

cc) Are you serious or are you just 'joking'

Jessica, the recommendation to come down and stay in a hostel while you look for an apartment is a good one. There is a lot out there, and it's definitely better to evaluate things on the ground and in person before committing. 8000 pesos a month is reasonable for a furnished apartment to share with your friend. You should put down the deposit when you sign the contract, that can be a week or a month before depending on your move-in date. In terms of which is preferable, it really depends on whether your rent is fixed in pesos or USD. Someone else can confirm this, but I think most temporary rentals are fixed at USD rates, in which case it matters not at all. If it's in pesos, putting it off as much as possible is probably beneficial, as the assumption is that the blue value of the dollar will rise.

In terms of a visa, you most likely won't be able to get any kind of residency as an English teacher. Those positions (with rare exceptions) are paid under the table. As many can confirm, living on a tourist visa won't be a huge hindrance to you -- certainly in the short term, anyway. Maybe after a year or two you might want to reevaluate your situation. :)

Good luck!

... Something I think we can all agree on is once you've been bitten by the BsAs bug, no amount of subte petty theft, lack of spicy food, or occasional step in dog shit can truly deter our love for this crazy and equally amazing city. ...

No, but being paid in pesos and 60% inflation is definitely something that can deter your love for this place.

Back