Tipping Tips For Out Of Town Tippers...

D.B. Cooper

Registered
I always try to leave something when eating out or even having just a cup of coffee & medias lunas.
The waiters here are not unemployed actors waiting for the big break like many NYC waiters are.
I also tip cab drivers if there are honest & don't try to give me the tour of the city.

A couple of friends from NYC invited me to dinner (Pipo's) last month.
They treated me, so I was going to leave $15.00 pesos tip.
But my friend left a $50.00 bill on the table & gave me back my $15.00.
I think the bill came to around $500.00 pesos.

Some upscale restaurants include tips on the bill.
It's usually listed on "cubiertos".
Which loosely translates to cutlery or flatware.

Some upscale restaurants include tips on the bill.
It's usually listed on "cubiertos".
Which loosely translates to cutlery or flatware.
When I see that, they get zip. I hate prefixed tips it encourages poor service. And even worse it pisses off the customer.....me.

I hate paying cubiertoa as well and it leaves me with very little desire to tip.

In restaurants, if there are no cubierto and the service is good I always leave 10%. I tip 2-10 pesos for delivery, and never tip taxi drivers.

Cubiertos no son propinas. They are an opportunistic charge that restaurants add to the bill because they can. It lets them pretend their menu prices are not rising. In theory, if you used no utensils, eating everything with your fingers, there would be no such charge.

I usually leave a ten percent tip for the table staff, unless the service is utterly abysmal.

i leave 10% for the staff too in restaurants.

I have never tipped taxi drivers for so many years but lately I have started tipping taxi drivers...very small amounts

Cubiertos no son propinas. They are an opportunistic charge that restaurants add to the bill because they can.

They are for cutlery, a tablecloth, bread, stuff like that.
But since here they use paper or plastic sets as tablecloth and paper napkins, it is just a way to rise the bill.
However it doesn't include the waiter tip.

Should I leave a tip at the beauty parlor, as well? I can't believe I spend only 100 pesos to have my legs and armpits waxed here! It is a 1 hour job!

It means cover charge. It come from the Italians , who started doing it in the 80's , when cheap American tourists ( and cheap Italians) would sit in restaurants for hours and only eat bread and water , with a espresso to end the meal.

My rule of thumb is to tip 10% (here and in Italy , where every restaurant charges "coperto"_

Then deduct the cover. so 500 pesos bill 10% 50 pesos. minus cover. ( say 5 pesos per person , 2 people ) Tip is 40.

But I find Argentines still tip as if the pesos was still worth 3:1........

It means cover charge. It come from the Italians , who started doing it in the 80's , when cheap American tourists ( and cheap Italians) would sit in restaurants for hours and only eat bread and water , with a espresso to end the meal.

My rule of thumb is to tip 10% (here and in Italy , where every restaurant charges "coperto"_

Then deduct the cover. so 500 pesos bill 10% 50 pesos. minus cover. ( say 5 pesos per person , 2 people ) Tip is 40.

But I find Argentines still tip as if the pesos was still worth 3:1........

Very good TIPS however a coperto of $5 pesos NO longer exists!!!! in BA
The Buenos Aires Grill $20 pesos cubierto in Av, Santa Fe !! next to Babieca close to Riobamba St.
So in your example TIP is only $10 pesos..!! $50 pesos minus 2x20 = $40 cubierto ???
If 3 people participate You ask the waiter to give you back $10 pesos,,,, :D :D :wub:

:D

Very good TIPS however a coperto of $5 pesos NO longer exists!!!! in BA
The Buenos Aires Grill $20 pesos cubierto in Av, Santa Fe !! next to Babieca close to Riobamba St.
So in your example TIP is only $10 pesos..!! $50 pesos minus 2x20 = $40 cubierto ???
If 3 people participate You ask the waiter to give you back $10 pesos,,,, :D :D :wub:

:D
Rich , Again you prove your excellent mathematic kills. Thanks !!

They are for cutlery, a tablecloth, bread, stuff like that.
But since here they use paper or plastic sets as tablecloth and paper napkins, it is just a way to rise the bill.
However it doesn't include the waiter tip.

The cubierto, however, fails the transparency test. It lets restaurants pretend they are not raising prices.

Back