Tips on Argentina??

jet4749

Registered
Hello everyone,

So I am studying abroad to Argentina (Buenos Aires-Recoleta) from my college in USA. I will be there for 5 months.

Any awesome tips?
Things I should avoid?
Visit? --I know most of the 'popular' things to visit (Such as the cemetery in Recoleta) -- looking for more of something not too touristy
Local advice?

Or just anything you'd like to share with me?

:) Thank you!!

leave your rolex at home.
eat and dress local.
dont get too drunk.
go see all the local culture you can- depending on when you are here, go to the jazz festival, go the the film festival, go to the night of bookstores, go to Konex on monday nights, go to the observatory in parque centenario on saturday night, go see lots of local bands, eat the local pizza, and take the subte and collectivos.

If your a woman don't carry a nice handbag, something non expensive looking canvas across your body, be vigilant, have an older looking phone and don't use too much in public, ENJOY BA it's great, try and befriend the locals... (most are lovely friendly people) ... Speak as much castellano as possible, use the parks, always get a taxi early hours of the morning if your going home...... And most of all... Have FUN!

One thing I recommend to everyone I know coming here is to go to Tigre (the train takes 50 minutes and costs 50 cents) and take a tour of the Parana River Delta. It is beautiful and exotic and the old summer houses are facinating. A nice tour will stop at a restaurant along the way and you can eat asado while you watch the rio drift by.

On the safety side, guard your passport with your life. Only take a photocopy of your passport and leave the real thing in a safe place. Loosing your documents here can be a real problem, as I recently learned. If you have more than one credit-debit card, only take one with you when you go out.

And, yes, do have fun. It can be a great city. And the suggestion to bring dollars with you is a wise one. If you have US cash, you can change it for a rate far higher than the official rate you get at exchange houses or banks (right now 5.3 pesos vs. 4.3 pesos).

And the museums are great and there are plenty of them, most are free and even the non-free ones are usually around US$5.

I would advise you (if possible and have the $) to allow some time either or one side of your trip for some travel outside of Buenos Aires and capital. This is a beautiful country with so much more to it than Capital and Buenos Aires. Visit the south, visit the north (dont miss Iguazu). Dont expect to stock up on things here, electronics and clothes are poorer quality and more expensive than the States. Be mindful of any expensive gadgets in public, particularly on the subtes.

And if your only here for 5 months and want to get the best cultural experience, try and mingle with as many porteños as you can, from your uni, whereever rather than heading for the safety of expats ;). Your going to have a ball!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 2
jantango Expat Life 1
A Expat Life 7
F Expat Life 12
F Expat Life 9
Back