Tired of ATM Fees and Schwab Questions

JHB1216

Registered
I have been using Citibank for the last two years and am getting tired of the rising ATM fees. Is there anyone that is using a Schwab Debit card in Buenos Aires? I am interested in what ATMs you are able to use in the city and any problems that you might have had with Schwab?

TIA

JHB1216 said:
I have been using Citibank for the last two years and am getting tired of the rising ATM fees. Is there anyone that is using a Schwab Debit card in Buenos Aires? I am interested in what ATMs you are able to use in the city and any problems that you might have had with Schwab?

TIA
I use any ATM world wide and have had no problems. The only irritation is the per transaction limit placed on ATM withdrawals. But that is not a Schwab problem. That is an Argentina problem.

Schwab is amazing. I've never had any problems, and my fees have always been reimbursed.

I posted this back in 2006-07 before I left for Texas, but I called Bank of America and asked them about the large ATM fees and they ended up waiving them for me.

I've talked to others who have been as lucky and others who have not. Why BOA would randomly say "okay, we will waive your fees" (for over 1 year) and not do the same for others, I don't know.

I realize BOA is not Schwab, but maybe you will get lucky if you just ask???

Love Schwab! Never had a problem at any ATM and they sent me a new card when I lost mine. Last month I hit $132 in refunded ATM fees.

Ditto. Schwab is excellent and refunds all domestic and international ATM fees. The only problem is if you're trying to set up an account online from an Argentine IP address. Either have someone that's using a US IP address set it up for you, or engage a VPN before you log on to their site. I use www.overplay.net (free server), but mostly for Netflix.

Go Schwab!

Love Schwab. I opened an account with them last year specifically because I was moving to BA, and since then it's been perfect for my needs. Their customer service is great and they have a lot of online banking options so you can move money in or out of other banks.

ghost said:
I use any ATM world wide and have had no problems. The only irritation is the per transaction limit placed on ATM withdrawals. But that is not a Schwab problem. That is an Argentina problem.

100% love it and as for limits just go to 4 different banks... i took out 4000 pesos last week on Florida no problem in less than 30 min...

use CITI, HSBC, GALLICIA, and BANCO FRANCIS

Worked perfect

Coco said:
Ditto. Schwab is excellent and refunds all domestic and international ATM fees. The only problem is if you're trying to set up an account online from an Argentine IP address. Either have someone that's using a US IP address set it up for you, or engage a VPN before you log on to their site. I use www.overplay.net (free server), but mostly for Netflix.

Go Schwab!

FOXYPROXY.com fixes that... call home ask mom and dad for their IP and subnet mask and boom you are on their web in a snap!

Another very happy Schwab client here. I also signed up for a debit card with Schwab specifically with international travel in mind, and have had my ATM fees refunded every month. However, I've also read stories of Schwab stripping some card holders of this perk because they abused the refunds, so maybe it'd be wise not to use it everyday or something crazy like that.

Also, consider signing up for the savings account instead of, or in addition to, the checking account. You get a debit card with the savings account too, and you get the same ATM fee refunds but also accrue interest on your account at the same time. As long as you don't plan on using the debit card linked to your savings account for POS transactions too often and don't need to be able to write checks, the savings account is great.

Anyone else bummed about Schwab phasing out its Invest First Signature Visa credit card? It was my go-to credit card all year long due to its unlimited 2% cash back and zero foreign transaction fees with no annual fee, so my savings were really a 4-5% swing from what I would have been paying with the average credit card. I'm actively looking for a replacement but nothing seems to come close...

Back