To Buy Or Not To Buy, That Is The Question!?

shoush

Registered
soo, with the dollar blue being at just about 10, I'm finally seeing the opportunity to buy my dream truck! 2008 toyota helix or a 2008 jeep. the plan was to get the car sent once the DNI was done, but it costs the same here right now while the dollar is sooo high!
to buy or not to buy?
being from Canada, I've always owned 4X4 but parking here and driving in the city...not too practical!
having a really nice truck/car and not having an indoor parking spot, can be dangerous parked outside in the city...or not???
and last but certainly not least, if anything it seems like a great investment! what do you think????

Go for it BUT remember insurance will not cover against Torching Quemacohes in the streets. Rent a Cochera a MUST!

I know, thats my fear about driving a "nice" car, vandalism in general! although we live in santa fe and callao area so I haven't heard of torching quemacoches here...but vandalism definitely!
but cocheras are too expensive right now, so not an option:(

ya, i know what you mean, i usually bike ride quire a bit instead, but we like to go away almost every weekend, to get out of the city. plus my husband does need to drive quite a bit around the city for work!
i guess the question is also if its a good future investment!

its cheaper to rent a car for weekends if you add ALL costs, including depreciation and loss of interest..!! and future dollar appreciation!!

my vote---- dont buy a car..... the cost, insurance and the need to maybe rent a garage could really never be worth it...if you have 3 kids and have to run to your job their school and activities etc maybe????.... but just to buy one for kicks...where you going to park a big 4x4 out on these streets.... think about it... do you really need that car... not having a car is one of the things i like about buenos aires..... you can walk 3 or 4 blocks to almost everything.... you will buy a truck.. then never drive it since you dont want to lose your parking spot on the street.....

soo, with the dollar blue being at just about 10, I'm finally seeing the opportunity to buy my dream truck! 2008 toyota helix or a 2008 jeep. the plan was to get the car sent once the DNI was done, but it costs the same here right now while the dollar is sooo high!
to buy or not to buy?
being from Canada, I've always owned 4X4 but parking here and driving in the city...not too practical!
having a really nice truck/car and not having an indoor parking spot, can be dangerous parked outside in the city...or not???
and last but certainly not least, if anything it seems like a great investment! what do you think????

If you are already certain that you need/want a truck and are not looking for advices on that matter -only the financial aspect of the opportunity- I have to say.. go for it girl! The price will certainly not go down and given the economic situation we are in, it is easy to say that is better to buy something now than wait to see what's the price tomorrow (you may get a 20% tax increase one day, just like that). Is better if you can get a deal to pay in installments at a fixed interest rate (due to inflation it will cost you less at the end) and in pesos of course.

Post some photos if you end up buying one :)

Research INSURANCE. I have 3rd party liability insurance in Argentina, but it is not the same as my 3rd party liability insurance I used to have in Canada. About a month ago a collectivo rear ended me. My insurance just gave me a report of the accident and told me to deal directly & personally with the insurance of the collectivo. I did NOT know that.

1. Is it only my insurance company, or all Argentinean insurance policies are the same?
2. Did my insurance abandon my case because they didn`t want to deal with a collectivo insurance, or would they have done the same if the collision were with a private car?
3. What happens if I had a serious big damage, and the other guy had no insurance and no money (as it is common here)?
4. Is my insurance different because I am a non-resident, or all Argentinean insurance policies are the same for residents and non-residents?
5. I know full coverage insurance costs a pretty penny. But what surprises do they have?

Traffic TICKETS. Almost non existent here. In 5 years I had no more than $300 pesos in official tickets, and no more that $200 pesos in unofficial (in the policemen`s hands, mostly because I am driving with a Canadian Driver License). Grand TOTAL no more than $500 pesos. In Toronto I argued with a policeman once, he handed me 3 tickets in ONE SHOT US$470.

THEFT & VANDALISM. First week I got my new car, I did not have indoor parking yet, the stereo was gone. Year later my spare tire was gone in Mar Del Plata. Returning home (MicroCentro) one night after tennis, Big crowds around Obilisco, weaving my way through a sea of people, suddenly they smashed 3 windows, my mirror, banged the hell out of my side 2 doors, broke my door lock. Insurance piad ONLY for the 3 windows. I had to foot the bill for everything else (I shit in my pants, but this is beside the point).

That is all I had in 5 years, nothing else.

Back