Toda persona que visita EE.UU. sufre una "evaluaci

Branwen

Registered
Hey! what do you think about this ? How is this benefitting or impacting the democrats abroad?? It seems as if the U.S. is closing more and more doors nowadays, is this what Bush wants? Does he believe everybody is a terrorist?

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/12/01/um/m-01320033.htm

El sistema implementado por Washington trascendió en las últimas horas, pero se aplica desde hace varios años. Implica una puntuación sobre todo aquel que ingresa al territorio estadounidense. Entre otros puntos, tiene en cuenta factores como antecedentes en el país de origen, la forma en que pagó el pasaje y hasta las compras que realizó.
El Mundo
Es, sin duda, una medida controvertida: cualquier persona que ingresa actualmente al territorio de Estados Unidos es objeto de una "evaluación de riesgo terrorista". Los resultados, que se conservarán durante 40 años, no son revelados al individuo. El programa aplicado por Washington trascendió en las últimas horas, pero se viene aplicando desde hace varios años.

Según explicaron voceros gubernamentales a las agencias internacionales, todo el que entra al país por aire, mar o tierra recibe una puntuación del Sistema Automatizado del Departamento de Seguridad Interna, ATS.

La cifra se basa en el análisis de distintas alternativas como procedencia de la persona, forma en que pagó sus pasajes, antecedentes registrados en el país de origen, compras que realizó y, aunque parezca increíble, el tipo de comidas ordenada.

El sistema ya generó una fuerte polémica y el rechazo de grupos defensores de los derechos humanos, que lo califican como uno de los más invasivos y riesgosos entre los implementados hasta ahora en nombre de la lucha contra el terrorismo.

David Sobel, abogado de la Electronic Frontier Foundation, un grupo dedicado a las libertades civiles, advirtió que "es probablemente el sistema más intruso que el Gobierno haya desplegado en término del número de personas afectadas''.

En ese sentido, Sobel sostuvo que a raíz de la evaluación de ese programa "a algunos individuos se les negará el derecho a viajar". Y agregó que evaluaciones erróneas podrían costar a personas inocentes empleos en actividades navieras o turismo, contratos del gobierno, licencias u otros beneficios.

...this from the Electronic Frontier Foundation mentioned in the Clarin article.American Travelers to Get Secret 'Risk Assessment' Scores

EFF Fights Huge Data-Mining Program Set for Rollout on U.S. Borders

Washington, D.C. - An invasive and unprecedented data-mining system is set to be deployed on U.S. travelers Monday, despite substantial questions about Americans' privacy. In comments sent to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) today, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) asked the agency to delay the program's rollout until it makes more details available to the public and addresses critical privacy and due process concerns.

The Automated Targeting System (ATS) will create and assign "risk assessments" to tens of millions of citizens as they enter and leave the country. Individuals will have no way to access information about their "risk assessment" scores or to correct any false information about them. But once the assessment is made, the government will retain the information for 40 years -- as well as make it available to untold numbers of federal, state, local, and foreign agencies in addition to contractors, grantees, consultants, and others.

"The government is preparing to give millions of law-abiding citizens 'risk assessment' scores that will follow them throughout their lives," said EFF Senior Counsel David Sobel. "If that wasn't frightening enough, none of us will have the ability to know our own score, or to challenge it. Homeland Security needs to delay the deployment of this system and allow for an informed public debate on this dangerous proposal."

Earlier this month, EFF's FLAG Project submitted a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to DHS seeking more details about the ATS data-mining program, but the agency has not yet disclosed the requested information.

Now, that is scary. Does this apply to anyone visiting the good old US of A?

Are there reports about lost income of the tourism sector due to strict controls?
I have flown to the USA after 911 2 times and it's scaring me away. I don't want to be treated as a potiental terrorist, I can see it hurting the tourism business

Returning recently from the US on a round trip BA-USA-BA ticket I was asked (the first time ever) for my visa for Argentina. The airport official insisted that I had a "one way" ticket and therefore could not leave the US (I am a US citizen) without proving that I had a right to do so. This had never happened to me before and I had to search through my documents to show my DNI. The official entered the DNI number into the computer and allowed me to leave. I assume this is part of the new controls. I found it unsettling and would like to know if any other US citizen has had such an experience.

My guess is that they wondered that you have dual nationality.
I know the US does not like it because the prefer that South Americans travel with an visa.

I don't think they were thinking of dual nationality. I am an expat - that's my connection to Argentina. It seems to me more like Big Brother monitoring - at least that's my concern.

"Paul_NL" said:
My guess is that they wondered that you have dual nationality.
I know the US does not like it because the prefer that South Americans travel with an visa.
Nope, it is quite on the contrary. American citizen can enter and exit US only using his american passport.

Airline may request a proof that you have a right to stay in Argentina if you don't have a return ticket, because otherwise they may be held responsible for getting you back. But it is done by airline people, not by the passport control.

Back