Today's Xoom Exchange Rate Almost Equal With Ria

steveinbsas

Registered
I just made a transfer to myself with XOOM and today's rate is $12.10. RIA's rate is $12.20. Last moth the difference was much greater (about two pesos per dollar).

Not only does XOOM allow me to send funds to myself, it is MUCH faster than RIA!

Yesterday Xoom was even better than Ria. Xoom was around 12.10 while Ria was closer to 12. Unfortunately both are pretty far away from the blue rate of around 14. One thing to keep in mind when comparing Xoom and Ria are the fees. For example when sending $1000 Xoom charges a $30 fee vs. $0 from Ria.

So when sending only 1k with todays rate incl. the fee you still get more pesos from Ria:

Xoom: $970 USD + $30 USD fee = payout $12,209.90 pesos
Ria: $1000 USD + $0 USD fee = payout $12,2175 pesos

So when sending only 1k with todays rate incl. the fee you still get more pesos from Ria:

RIA takes MUCH more time and XOOM allows sending $USD to yourself from a US bank while you are actually in Argentina.

And using XOOM under those circumstances beats the hell out of using an ATM to get USD at the official rate!

Has anyone ever used Xoom to send money from their Australian bank account to their Argentine account? I assume the Banco Central retains the money for a year. LOL.

I went to Ria yesterday and was bombarded with paperwork. They even took a thumb print! Had to certify that my brother was sending me the money. What its purpose was. What my brother's occupation is, etc... I had to give my signature at least five times.

They required I bring a utility bill (my dueno is going to love that) and two telephone numbers of "friends" - thanks IG, I used your number.

So I spent most of the day traveling back and forth to the Ria office...

Steve,

Thanks for reminding me to send myself money via Xoom from my US bank to my bank account in Italy.

Xoom works great , is fast , and the rates are fair. As for loosing those 2 pesos per dollar , it adds up fast when sending US$1000.00

Today XOOM offered a rate very close to RIA.

XOOM 14.5700
RIA 14.647

Yesterday I checked both sites and RIA had posted 13.5221 (which must have been a typo). XOOM was 14.27 on 10/13/2015

Ria was lower by a peso for a week with Xoom. I found that out last week and had to make other arrangements.

Whats the cutoff for sending money before they make you jump threw hoops, is it 10000 pesos? anything below that?

Back