Top 50 Restaurants In Latam

glasgowjohn

Registered
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/24/travel/latin-america-50-best-restaurants/index.html?hpt=travel_hp_blogroll

Anyone eaten in any of the Argentine ones?

I have been a couple of times to la Cabrera but havent been to the others.

I'd rank Astrid y Gaston Lima as #1. I find it better than Central. Too bad Astrid y Gaston Buenos Aires is but a shadow of the one in Lima. I also find La Cabrera over rated.

I've eaten in a few of them, but can't really follow the order. For instance, La Cabrera is a decent parilla, but not much more. A few seasons back, the list mainly contained the 'special' restaurants where you get a tasting menu of multiple courses, similar to the top-rated ones from other countries like Astrid y Gaston or Borago (both excellent in my opinion). Now it seems the list contains some weird random mix. For fine dining in B.A., my favorites are still Aramburu, iLatina and Paraje Arevalo. El Baqueano is also in this category. The 2 parillas listed are both fine, but nothing special; personally I prefer other ones which are not as overrun by tourists. Elena is good, but also not something that would be the first thing that pops into my mind about culinary experiences in B.A. I haven't made it to Tegui yet, but friends of mine who also went to a lot of the other good restaurants in South America with me told me that it was good, but also not as good as the alternative fine dining restaurants here. In the end, I guess it's all a matter of personal taste and you have to try them all to know which is the best fit for you ;)

I agree that La Cabrera is (now) overrated. I'll take Don Julio in its place anytime (like last night!).

Tarquino is very good for the experience, Oviedo is consistently awesome. I've been to most of the other BA locations on the list, and can't say they're all that - as usual, most fail on service.

Tegui is great but way overpriced. It's a shame not many Argentines can afford to eat there. Really surprised at how great the fish was at La Mar Cebichería (not on the list but should be), stunning cocktails too. Tarquino is a great experience. La Cabrera (both locations) are great but haven't been to either in 3 years or so. Don Julio meat is 10/10 but not a fan of the venue itself - bit tacky I think. Planning visits to Aramburu and iLatina soon! Mmm foood.

Peruvian food is the best. La Mar in Lima is excellent, and I'm glad to hear it's still up near the top. Too bad the one in San Francisco isn't up to snuff, except for their happy hour.
I'll admit I still like the old La Cabrera. Always a crowd pleaser with visitors. It's not always bad to give them what they want!

Just based on that buenos aires entries I can't take that list seriously at all. I've been to all of them and some multiple times, the order is crazy and the presence of some of the restaurants is inexplicable (Don Julio, Restó ???)

Then at the bottom of the article I saw it was written by Sorrel and that explains it, nothing against her personally but her recommendations have sucked for years.

Which Astrid y Gaston in Buenos Aires are you talking about? I heard there was one here some time ago but it closed; did they re-open a place beside the Lima one?

Back