Top 50 restaurants of Latin America

Interesting selections.
I am not a hoity toity type of guy, so I havent been to Don Julio or Tegui, the two top argentine picks. I am a fan of both proper and gran dabang, which made the list, and have been meaning to try Narda soon, as well as being intrigued by seeing Anthony Bourdain eat Choris with the chef at Chila enough to try that. I have been to Mishugene a couple of times, and not been bowled over. Maybe I was ordering the wrong thing, I dont know. And I hear Aramburu is moving to Recoleta, making it a bit more accessible- Constitucion, where it was, is just not a place I go very often. El Baqueano sounds worth a try, too.

Interesting selections.
I am not a hoity toity type of guy, so I havent been to Don Julio or Tegui, the two top argentine picks. I am a fan of both proper and gran dabang, which made the list, and have been meaning to try Narda soon, as well as being intrigued by seeing Anthony Bourdain eat Choris with the chef at Chila enough to try that. I have been to Mishugene a couple of times, and not been bowled over. Maybe I was ordering the wrong thing, I dont know. And I hear Aramburu is moving to Recoleta, making it a bit more accessible- Constitucion, where it was, is just not a place I go very often. El Baqueano sounds worth a try, too.

I agree about Proper and it has a very talented chef and excellent food . Narda is also very good . Mishugene is ok but certainly not worthy of such a high rating . There is a much better jewish restaurant called Eretz on Malabia between Honduras and Gorritti . They serve outstanding chicken kebabs. falafel, baba ghanoush , and the best salads and vegetables all lovely home prepared .

I agree about Proper and it has a very talented chef and excellent food . Narda is also very good . Mishugene is ok but certainly not worthy of such a high rating . There is a much better jewish restaurant called Eretz on Malabia between Honduras and Gorritti . They serve outstanding chicken kebabs. falafel, baba ghanoush , and the best salads and vegetables all lovely home prepared .

I second Eretz. v v good food and extremely cheap ( via restorando) .. like 400 pesos per head without alcohol.

Eretz is Israeli street food- which is a very different cuisine than Mishigeune. I love Israeli street food- I used to eat it weekly when I lived in LA, which has a big Israeli expat population, and there are great outdoor stands selling it. Its a mediterranean style that draws heavily on neighboring arab, armenien, and african influences.
Teamim, on Diaz Velez, is another great Israeli style place- mostly takeout, zero ambiance, but great food.

Mishiguene, on the other hand is an eastern european based modern gourmet type of thing- very different dishes, ingredients, and history to that food. Borsht, Corned beef, barley, and similar dishes are not desert food.

There are a wide variety of jewish cuisines- greek jewish food is very different from Israeli food, which, in turn, is different from the Italian jewish food served in Rome. And the corned beef sandwiches at Jakes Deli in Milwaukee bear little resemblance to any of those. I used to eat at Wolfies, and The Rascal House, in Miami, whenever I could- and they were the classic US template for eastern european jewish food. Mishiguene is much more in that vein, with modern influences like sous vide, kind of molecular global bubbe.
I feel obligated to give it one more chance, and get adventurous in my ordering, as I think thats where he really shines.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...im-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

Interesting selections.
Don Julio is not "hoity toity" ( I haven't heard those words in a long time) and despite the long lines to get in ( you can make a reservation a day or three in advance and avoid the lines) and the tourists, the steak is excellent and so is the service. I highly recommend it. And, easy walking distance from your place.
Nancy

And at Don Julio's not only is the meat excellent, but the desserts are as well. We had some incredible home-made ice creams and chocolate mouse with toffee crunch on top. Outstanding.

And at Don Julio's not only is the meat excellent, but the desserts are as well. We had some incredible home-made ice creams and chocolate mouse with toffee crunch on top. Outstanding.

Their mollejas are the best in the world as well!!!!

??
Choco-Mice.png

And at Don Julio a Club La Nation card gets you a 20% discount on your entire bill including wine. Brings the Don into normal prices.

T/

Back