Top Gear Patagonia Pt1 - 27Th Dec

johnw100

Registered
Top Gear Patagonia Part 1 was on last night if anyone is interested, quite entertaining, although the format is getting tired now imho. The usual, take the mickey out of each others cars, cars breakdown, get lost in the wilderness,etc. Some nice scenery though even if it did seem half the time covered in rain.

yes I saw it and agree the format is very tired and somewhat embarrassing at times - was cheap and stupid to put that number plate on the car - i don't see any merit in exploiting a conflict where many people were killed as a means to publicize a tv program

the BBC should be ashamed of itself

I`m not sure it was intended to use that number plate. The uk dvla shows that was the license plate it the car was first registered with. So how would they find a v8 porsche or whatever with a license plate currently for sale? They bought it from some small local dealer. Unless there is a national database of car registrations showing whats on sale it would be very difficult ,if not impossible to find something.

But saying that, someone shouldve spotted it. Probably 20 year old research assistants at the bbc too young to know or care.

Just seems way too much of a coincidence particarly given Clarkesons sense of humor and historical lack of tact

When you ship your Ferrari down, make sure that it doesn't have any offensive numbers on it. There's a database on that somewhere. Or if you have a vanity plate, with like "Vulture" on it you probably want to leave that in Houston.

yes I saw it and agree the format is very tired and somewhat embarrassing at times - was cheap and stupid to put that number plate on the car - i don't see any merit in exploiting a conflict where many people were killed as a means to publicize a tv program

the BBC should be ashamed of itself

It was a complete coincidence, the numberplate has been on that car since the 90's. Not only that as soon as they realised it may cause offense to some idiots, they took the plates off and replaced them with the personalised numberplate that was left in the boot by the previous owner.

Still didn't stop a moronic state sponsored group of thugs to go and attack a film crew though.

Part 2 should be good.

It was a complete coincidence, the numberplate has been on that car since the 90's. Not only that as soon as they realised it may cause offense to some idiots, they took the plates off and replaced them with the personalised numberplate that was left in the boot by the previous owner.

Still didn't stop a moronic state sponsored group of thugs to go and attack a film crew though.

Part 2 should be good.

As I said above, to find a classic v8 sports car with that number plate for sale (at a dealer) would be millions to 1 odds and then even searching for it would be impossible without an online database of car sales. And it was after all bought from some small classic dealer who doesnt even have an up to date website. I think it was more about the fact that Top Gear was going to Usuahia, probably to cause mischieve, which was probably common knowledge because the `fixers` down there wouldve been setting up a game of car football with the locals. So theyd need 10+ cars to film locally and the locals wanted a fight.
They were even trying to point fingers at the other two cars for having numbers that were similar (give or take 50) to the amount of losses on either side during the war.

But regardless if it was set up, the fact that they were chased and attacked with rocks and eggs by a bunch of thugs out of the country is out of all proportion to a license plate that wasnt even on the car when they arrived in Usuahia.
Personally, I think the biggest crime was taking 3 very nice classic sports cars to Patagonia and running them into the ground.

Back