Totally Disgusted

Yes the country is messed up.

I remember when I first came to argentina, I got robbed at gun point and my friends were like "oh yeah, no big deal, be more careful"

Then I asked them if I should go to the police and they went crazy "QUE????? SOS LOCO?????"

Its a known fact here the police are corrupt scum and much scarier than los ladrones

¿have you seen the video of two cops stealing the notebook and phone from a fainted woman? They did not notice a cctv camera a block away. Thumb assholes!!

This is why you cant inform the police when your place is burglarized. The police will come and case your place and then later rob you. It's all very sad. When BA was cheap there were a lot of expats defending Argentina, finding excuses for every problem, saying how it is just as bad in the US. I don't see so much of that anymore.

I personally think that it's really sad that these policemen robbed a person who they are paid with our taxes to take care of in an emergency and not use that as an opportunity to rob them.
I myself have had mostly good experiences with the police here, I had a small retail business and the ones I befriended that worked in the area where my business was never ever asked me for any type of bribe, or anything like that.
I will say that the police here are underpaid and feel that the government is working agianst them and does not support them.
I am originally from New York City and we had our share of corrupt, mafioso and drug dealing police back in the 1960s and 1970s and it was really bad, 99% of that was cleaned up though, with tough new requirements for police such as only hiring police with at least 2 years of college, higher salaries and cost of living adjustments, good publicity and support from the mayor. Of course here there is a lot of distrust for the police that goes back many years and it will be hard to change that anytime soon. Even more so with this video. How unfortunate.

Lee said:
The same can be said for 99% of all the people in Argentina. :eek:

If you consider expats as people, then you also mean 99% of all expats?

Same thing happened to us when the police came after we were burgled. Nothing was taken by the intruder who only made it into a locked room and was scared off before gaining entry to the main part of the house. But they stole our portable dvd player, ha ha...

It never fails that someone brings up the US when Argentina is the subject. Of course there are some rotten apples among the NYPD police but corruption is not the NORM there as it is in Argentina. I suppose even the NYPD police who took bribes have the decency not to leave a woman unconscious while they robbed her of her laptop.

I went to the police when I was held up at gunpoint in my shop in Olivos and they couldn't have been more helpful. It was academic really as they had no chance of finding him.
The second time, when an armed man came in and put a gun to my wife's head and vanished with a couple of laptops, we didn't even bother going to the police. Sounds defeatist, but what chance?
Having said all that, some of my customers are police and have spent thousands on PC's with me. I like to think that they are now on my side.
They are not ALL corrupt you know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MorganF Expat Life 69
J Expat Life 43
Back