Totally Paranoid Question: Creative Security Solutions?

MorganF

Registered
Gentlefolk,

It is a long night tonight -- feels like 4:30am yet it isn't even midnight! -- full of intense work. I just took a 3 minute break which led my mind to ask a question that I find interesting and I am left wondering if any of the men and women of BA Expats (who are on average, undoubtedly, much smarter than I am! On average at least!) might have insight into. Any thoughts:

I am a bit concerned about security in Argentina going in the wrong direction. I'm not expecting the government to do much to improve things. So I'm wondering if anyone has heard of, or seen, any effective methods that we individuals can use ourselves to protect ourselves and our property.

Let me throw a few things I've seen, to set the tone, and see if anyone has any other ideas for implementable solutions (and note: all of these are far from ideal, but [a] it's a starting point, this is a night-time brainstorm so apologies and [c] perhaps, if we can patch together lots of little solutions, we could have something bigger):

1.) Apparently a company in Colombia is now selling bullet-proof t-shirts. Yup. They say it's what Obama wore under his suit at his inauguration. I'm tempted to buy some, budget permitting!

2.) Install video cameras by the entrance to the building. The goal of the cameras isn't particularly to record or track; it is to alert potential criminals to the fact that they're being recorded, which might disincentive them from robbing our building, but go for another instead.

3.) If there are enough of us in one neighborhood, then start our own neighborhood patrol in our 'hood.

4.) If there are enough of us in one neighborhood who want to invest money, have our own private security guard to just patrol the 'hood (and whom we, those who pay for him, could call if needed).

5.) So there are some sounds that are painful to teenagers, but people older than their their low-20s can't hear it. In England, they apparently have made machines that make these sounds and store owners just play in front of the store, to ward off young thugs. (I almost want to buy one and put it into my building's lobby!!)

Any other suggestions for strategies, or things -- big or small -- that are not obvious, that we could possibly do ourselves, to help protect ourselves?

NOTE: The objective of this thread is to creatively think about SOLUTIONS that we can implement ourselves. Please leave all the complaining, griping, protests, trying to lobby the government (good luck!), to the many other security threads on BA Expats :)

Thanks,
Morgan

1.) Apparently a company in Colombia is now selling bullet-proof t-shirts. Yup. They say it's what Obama wore under his suit at his inauguration. I'm tempted to buy some, budget permitting!
First: it's very uncomfortable, specially in hot summer days. Second: as soon as the criminal realizes that you are not dead, he will probably shoot again...to your head, legs or groin.

2.) Install video cameras by the entrance to the building. The goal of the cameras isn't particularly to record or track; it is to alert potential criminals to the fact that they're being recorded, which might disincentive them from robbing our building, but go for another instead.
Might work but only with some criminal's profile. Don't forget that most of them don't care anything at all, even their own lives.

3.) If there are enough of us in one neighborhood, then start our own neighborhood patrol in our 'hood.

Might work but it requires a lot of work that may be not everyone is willing to do, and a lot of confidence in your neighbours (just because you never know if some information could be used against you).
4.) If there are enough of us in one neighborhood who want to invest money, have our own private security guard to just patrol the 'hood (and whom we, those who pay for him, could call if needed).
Private security people are mostly retired policemen and we all know we can't trust entirely in their sense of ethics, sadly...

5.) So there are some sounds that are painful to teenagers, but people older than their their low-20s can't hear it. In England, they apparently have made machines that make these sounds and store owners just play in front of the store, to ward off young thugs. (I almost want to buy one and put it into my building's lobby!!)

Not sure if it can work.

1.)" They say it's what Obama wore under his suit at his inauguration." You accidentally touched on something else here.The problem is visibility.If you live in a large expat crowd you can be targeted more easily. Blending in and becoming grey might be a better solution. Those shirts only protect your torso not your head or your legs and you could still sustain life threatening injuries.

2.) Install video cameras by the entrance to the building. It might deter the opportunist thief but gangs rely on their invulnerabilty of being untouchable within their own neighbourhood.

3.) If there are enough of us in one neighborhood, then start our own neighborhood patrol in our 'hood. Great idea it has worked in a lot of cities, but if you restrict it to expats agian you become more visible. Argentines are concerned too.Involve them wherever you live.

4.) If there are enough of us in one neighborhood who want to invest money, have our own private security guard . My experience in Mexico is again that if push comes to shove paid personnel will only go that far to protect your property and who can blame them for backing off at the sight of a gun.

I remember seeing a documentary about a self defense counsellor in Mexico who quite blatantly says that he trades in paranoia not defense kit,that most of the things he sells will only go that far and that the serious criminal is already well prepared or so strung out they are past caring.

In all honesty I think that your best self defence is to become part of the place ,not live in expat enclaves and to mimic local behaviour and language. I think you are looking for a more high tech solution but you know what happens to unbreakable branded I phones for example . A kid somewhere in the world the next day simply unblocks them.

Hey guys!!!!

Thanks for your suggestions. Here's a thought: feel free to ignore the 4 ideas I threw out. As I said, these ideas probably suck!!! You don't need to articulate the reasons why my ideas are bad, I already know :) Rather, the point is... does anyone else have any other creative ideas? I think we need to go through lots of bad ideas, to find one good one...

morgan

On the neighborhood watch idea.... does anyone know of an Argentine neighborhood watch group? Does this exist in BA? Yes, one with local Argies might be helpful...!

MorganF said:
On the neighborhood watch idea.... does anyone know of an Argentine neighborhood watch group? Does this exist in BA? Yes, one with local Argies might be helpful...!

Yes, it exists, at least I've heard about it in some neighborhoods (not too crowded), and some time ago there was a kind of plan to watch children coming and going to the school. This was proposed by some Italian sociologist and it worked. But all of these measures take, as I said, a lot of community work, which sometimes not everyone is able/willing to do.

Hahaha! It is certainly a real post. I am deeply concerned about the security situation; I feel powerless to improve it; and I'm trying to figure out what to do, that's within our powers, to make things marginally better -- on the individual (me! my friends!) and the community (everyone around us!) levels.

That said... I'm not going to deny having spent a few too many minutes in the bath so maybe the bath salts have gotten to my head :)

morgan

I don't think bullet proof t-shirts from Colombia can solve your problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NYKate Expat Life 27
J Expat Life 43
V Expat Life 12
Back