Traditional Argentine Food

BAMama

Registered
We all know about empanadas and steak, but I'm looking for some recipes for some things like Locro, guiso, or whatever other traditional dishes you can think of!

Google perhaps? Use the translate function through the toolbar if all the recipes (recetas) are in spanish. Humita (common in the north of Argentina) and Polenta are other popular ones.

Hey BAMama,

On our website (Expose Buenos Aires), we have some recipes for tradiational Argentina foods. My favorites are Locro and Carbonada, which are two types of stews. You also may be intererested in searching for Faina (chick pea bread served with Pizza), Milanesa, Argentine croissants, Rosca de Pascua (cake served at Easter).

Thats a start anyway :)

Matt
ExposeBA

Mondongo
Niños envueltos
Matambre (rolled and stuffed)
Zapallito (filled)
Polenta
Bife a la criolla
Pastel de papa
Pastel de carne
Tarta de atun

Those come to mind. :)

If you travel outside of Buenos Aires you can find scores, probably hundreds of unique recipes. We've travelled all over the northeast provinces (Corrientes, Chaco, and Misiones) and have run into all softs of stuff...
Matambre a la pizza, flank steak sliced thin, topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and herbs, then baked
Pacu, dorado, and surubi a la pizza, these are 3 big types of fresh water fish that taste awesome.
Milanesa de pacu, dorado, surubi, chicken breast, and thinly sliced beef. Milanesa means lightly breaded and baked, I've had some terrible milanesa that was deep fried and greasy, but when its done right its light, crispy, and tasty.
All sorts of variations on chimichurris sauce

I've also eaten all sorts of wild game hunted by my in-laws including road runners, hares, carpincho, caimen. I'm sure they've slipped some other stuff I didn't know about into various stews and sauces too:)

The one I really love is Berenjenas a la (al?) escabeche. Wow! Love it!

Niños envueltos YES YES YES..... I beg my mother-in-law to make them all the time.

Eclair said:
Mondongo
Niños envueltos
Matambre (rolled and stuffed)
Zapallito (filled)
Polenta
Bife a la criolla
Pastel de papa
Pastel de carne
Tarta de atun

Those come to mind. :)
Thanks! I tried to use Google translate but the translation was awful