Transfer US Dollars out of Argentina

LondonUK

Registered
I am selling some land and due to be paid US Dollars 200,000 in cash, it is a different amount than the official sale price which I believe is quite common. I want to transfer the money to my US Dollar account in England where I live. Should I set up a US Dollar bank account in Argentina and transfer the money from there? What is the cheapest way of doing this?

Agribotics

Registered
I travel between Japan, Taiwan and the U.S. and there's no limit on the amount of cash you can carry, so long as you declare any amount over $10,000 US or 1 million yen to customs. Does Argentina limit the amount of USD you can bring in and out of the country?

ArgentinaVet

Registered
I travel between Japan, Taiwan and the U.S. and there's no limit on the amount of cash you can carry, so long as you declare any amount over $10,000 US or 1 million yen to customs. Does Argentina limit the amount of USD you can bring in and out of the country?
Only a maximum of $10,000 USD or equivalent of any foreign currency can be physically taken out of Argentina; anything above $10,000 USD in value must be taken out in Argentine Pesos AND declared.
For example in the case of the original poster in this thread, he/she could take out $10,000 USD in USD cash AND the remaining proceeds of the sale $190,000 USD out of the country in cash as long as he changes the $190,000 USD to Argentine pesos cash AND presents the declaration form.

Agribotics

Registered
Only a maximum of $10,000 USD or equivalent of any foreign currency can be physically taken out of Argentina; anything above $10,000 USD in value must be taken out in Argentine Pesos AND declared.
For example in the case of the original poster in this thread, he/she could take out $10,000 USD in USD cash AND the remaining proceeds of the sale $190,000 USD out of the country in cash as long as he changes the $190,000 USD to Argentine pesos cash AND presents the declaration form.
Thanks for the information. Living in Argentina is as bad financially as living in China apparently.

LondonUK

Registered
I think the $10,000 limit is to stop money laundering. If I have the paperwork to show it comes from the sale of property, do you think I would be allowed to transfer the money then?

LondonUK

Registered
For example in the case of the original poster in this thread, he/she could take out $10,000 USD in USD cash AND the remaining proceeds of the sale $190,000 USD out of the country in cash as long as he changes the $190,000 USD to Argentine pesos cash AND presents the d

LondonUK

Registered
If I set up a bank account in Argentina and deposit the money there, could I then transfer the money by Wise to the UK?

D.B. Cooper

Registered
If I set up a bank account in Argentina and deposit the money there, could I then transfer the money by Wise to the UK?
I would contact Casa Puente. When I bought my apt. here I was able to transferred the money from my US bank account to their office here in BA. They're over 100 years old, very reputable. Not a cueva or anything shady. We even did the closing right in their office here in downtown BA. Everything went very smoothly. Very happy with the service. I had to pay a small commission for their service but don't remember the details.
The company is based in the UK so that should make things easy for you.

Last edited:

NoSoyDeAqui

Registered
If there is an inmobiliaria involved, ask them for suggestions.

I am going thru a similar transaction...selling a house and transferring to USA...about 1/3 of the total you mention...in PBA about 300km from Capital.

My inmboliaria suggested local place, similar to Casa Puente mentioned above, that would do the transfer...2-2.5% comission

I am sure in Capital I could get lower comission...just that driving with all that cash is not really appealing