Transfering a large sum of money from Canada to Argentina

manqo

Registered
Hi all.
I was born in Argentina and lived there until I was 5, after that my family decided to move to Canada and I've been a canadian citizen since then. Worked a few a decades and now looking for a place to retire. I would buy a property in capital federal (300-600kUSD) and live off of savings. Thing is, im not sure how much would I lose to transaction fees & taxes. I've seen exapts in this thread saying that it would be at most 1% of the total. But I also asked around to the locals and they say that the fees go from 20-30%. Is there anyone here that transfered that sum or even larger? If so, how much did it cost you?

Hi all.
I was born in Argentina and lived there until I was 5, after that my family decided to move to Canada and I've been a canadian citizen since then. Worked a few a decades and now looking for a place to retire. I would buy a property in capital federal (300-600kUSD) and live off of savings. Thing is, im not sure how much would I lose to transaction fees & taxes. I've seen exapts in this thread saying that it would be at most 1% of the total. But I also asked around to the locals and they say that the fees go from 20-30%. Is there anyone here that transfered that sum or even larger? If so, how much did it cost you?
Pm'd

If you arrive at Ezeiza with a very large cash amount, you will not get to your hotel in BA alive!

I can set you up with people who would charge very little.
For Canada might be a little more than 1-2%, but still nowhere near 10%, let alone 20-30.
PM for details.

Hi all.

Move what you to make purchases but whatever you do not put large sums of money in Argentinian banks. Just sayin.

You should seriously consider flying out here first, getting your Argentine papers in order, opening a bank account here. And then just doing a wire transfer.

This will be the best rates, and probably well worth the extra effort, assuming everything is above board, and also assuming you don't have pressing time constraints to first get your papers in order.

Also, for your price range of property, you may have a significant portion of sellers who have accounts outside of Argentina. In which case being able to do a deal where payment is made in full or in part through external accounts, becomes not only a negotiating element for you, but is a win-win in any case.

Good Luck! ;)

Last edited:
Move what you to make purchases but whatever you do not put large sums of money in Argentinian banks. Just sayin.
I know there have been horror stories in the past but any in the last few years? Genuine question.

Back