Transiting Df

jeff1234

Registered
I've been getting great fares to the US on Aeromexico but the flights require transiting DF.
Instead of just transiting within Aeromexico we're required to get our bags, go through customs, immigration and reenter via the security scan. Lots of lonnnng lines.

Does anyone know why they do this? How to bypass this hassle?

thanks

I was told once that if the layover between connections is over a certain amount of hours (probably 6) you are forced to go through all that process. I went through that once when I had connections in Brazil. Too many hours in between connections may not be worth the hassle of a discount. Try to get a more immediate connection flight.

in the new security era, this is more and more common. not sure about DF in specific, but in the airports I have been in lately, there is no way around this. Its a secondary security measure for the airport, and, from their point of view, its a feature, not a bug.

I just checked Aeromexico flights from BA to Chicago. The going was fine with a 95minute connection. in DF. The return was leaving Chicago at 15 10 arriving in DF at 19 45. The flight from DF to BA leaves at 10 15, the next morning.That's 12 and a half hours between flights ! So passengers have no option, as to where they will spend the night. Of course, at an aiport hotel. And guess who has to pay for the room? Sorry, only one guess.
Through the years, I have taken hundreds of flights and never have a long overnight connection,until about 2 years ago. On a Turkish Airline flight I had to stay at a hotel at Istanbul airport from about 21 00 to 08 00. All of these overnight connections give travelers no time to see the connecting city. If you want to stay an extra day at the connecting city, they will charge you hundreds. of $US'
My thinking is that it's a conspiracy betwen the airlines and hotels. Who is going to stay at airport hotels? Possibly some business people,but few others.
While I/m still on my soapbox.......Why aren't security proceedures the same at all airports, o people know that hte have to remoee their laptops from their bags and take off their shoes? You can't carry a factory sealed bottle of water through security, but you can buy a botttle right after security.

I was told once that if the layover between connections is over a certain amount of hours (probably 6) you are forced to go through all that process. I went through that once when I had connections in Brazil. Too many hours in between connections may not be worth the hassle of a discount. Try to get a more immediate connection flight.

Sorry, I meant to write "layover" instead of "overlay". B)

I've been getting great fares to the US on Aeromexico but the flights require transiting DF.
Instead of just transiting within Aeromexico we're required to get our bags, go through customs, immigration and reenter via the security scan. Lots of lonnnng lines.

Does anyone know why they do this? How to bypass this hassle?

thanks

Traveling on a single ticket, this is NOT true. At least under normal circumstances.

Traveling on a single ticket, this is NOT true. At least under normal circumstances.

Yeah it's true. Two weeks ago I went to NYC on Aeromexico with a stopover of 2 hours and 2 minutes in DF and we had to go through customs and immigration, and security.

I was expecting to do what I've always done in Lima or Bogota, just walk to the gate of my departing flight.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of people were on lines for each step. Old people, families with crying babies. There was alot of ambient stress as people shuffled though under the pressure of possibly missing a connection or not having time to feed their kids. We felt the pressure, with only 2 hours in DF, one glitch with immigration or customs could cause us to miss the wedding we were traveling to attend.

It also seemed like the airport restaurant and shops were missing a lot of sales because people were busy with this procedure.

And of course the airport had extra salaries too.

I just can't think of a reason for this hassle. We asked several officials at the airport and they all said they didn't know the reason.

I don't see how it added to security.

Could Mexico want to add transiting passengers to their tally of arriving tourists by making us go through immigration?

Serafina......I, as many other travelers. continue to refer to Mexico City as D.F.

But......On January 29, 2016, it ceased to be called the Federal District (Spanish: Distrito Federal or D.F.) and is now in transition to become the country's 32nd federal entity, giving it a level of autonomy comparable to that of a state. Because of a clause in the Mexican Constitution, however, as the seat of the powers of the federation, it can never become a state, lest the capital of the country be relocated elsewhere.....

Back