Transport Strike On Tuesday?

majortungsten

Registered
I have heard a vicious rumour that there will be a city wide transport strike on Tuesday.
This means no trains, buses, subte or piggy backs.
Now, this sounds unlikely even for this city. Not only does it not make sense to shut it all down, but I doubt the strikers will garner any sympathy if they decide to make the lives of 10 million people a little more miserable.

Can anybody shed some further light on this?
Or can I assume that I have a day off as I can't get into work?

The 20th is a general strike day. Highways and roads will be blocked, banks closed and demonstrations planned. However, trains, buses and taxis will be running but expect lots of delays.

If there is a general strike employees are not required to be at work (at least that what my employees told me) :)

We're not planning on going anywhere on Tuesday that we can't walk to.

So if I have a flight to catch from EZE how much time should I allow myself to get there? I live in Palermo and usually allow one hour.

Sivan- ugh, that's problematic, esp since they are cutting off highways. I would be prepared to leave hours and hours before just to be on the safe side since I'm not sure whether there will be any way to check which roads are cut off.

FWIW - with my old company, employees were certainly expected to work (since they weren't union and unless an employee's union has called for the strike, they should be working) but we did offer work-from-home option. Best is to check with your employer.

Everyone knows about the free bike lend program right? You can sign up and use it in the same day, takes just a few moments. It's a decent way to get around in these cases if you are slightly suicidal :lol: http://wander-argentina.org/2012/03/mejor-en-bici-buenos-aires-bike-lending-program/

Can someone give me a *logical* explanation as to why they are cutting off the roads??! is it just to force other people not to go to work? i dont know even know if my flight is actually even leaving. Just spent an hour trying to get through to LAN and of course could not reach a real person. Will have to go into the office i guess. This is beyond frustrating!!!

The cutting off of roads drives me INSANE here. Like frothing at the mouth rage. I simply don't understand why people tolerate it. I'm all for the right to protest but protestors rights aren't more important than my right to get to work/school/whatever. The other night, I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours on accesso oeste for some stupid protest. What the protest was about - no idea? No signs, no nothing - just a bunch of idiots burning tires on the highway while the police sat there and looked at them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

So in short, I have no idea. Their cutting off the roads in no way is related to the point of salaries being too low or anything else.

LAN is useless over the phone - try an office. If your flight is leaving, it looks like the main roads to EZE are going to be cut off. I don't know if they will be cut off all day but you might want to try very first thing tomorrow morning to go. What time is your flight?

Back