Transportation And Pets Within Argentina

Girino

Registered
Hello,

we recently adopted a kitty and I'd like to know more about getting around with her while here (we do not own a car).
  • Remises - I was told that they accept pets, but you have to mention it when calling them. And the pet should be in a box or a cage or carrier.
  • Urban Buses - I think I saw people with cats in a bag while riding colectivos, but I am not sure if this was in incognito or legit.
  • Extra-urban buses - We would like to spend some days in Mar del Plata at a family house. I saw the bus ride is 5 hours long - Will they accept pets?
  • Trains - That's another option to get to Mar del Plata, however I can't find any info about traveling with pets on their website.

Do you have any experience with this?

Remis: Up to them, ask in advance and tell them the cat will be secured. Most will be ok I guess.

On the local buses it's more a case of keeping the cat secured, i doubt the bus driver knows whath the policy is or much less cares what it is. If your cat is securely in the bag and the driver doesnt hate cats i imagine you'll be fine.

Remis: Up to them, ask in advance and tell them the cat will be secured. Most will be ok I guess.

On the local buses it's more a case of keeping the cat secured, i doubt the bus driver knows whath the policy is or much less cares what it is. If your cat is securely in the bag and the driver doesnt hate cats i imagine you'll be fine.

Does ajo drive buses? ;)

Is this your first kitty? If it is, you may not know that the great thing about a cat is that as long as you leave enough food, water and a litter box, you can leave it for days at a time provided that the temperature within your home won't become too extreme. I grew up with three cats who hated even a short drive to the vet's office and would spend the 15-minute trip yowling and cowering in the crate. Taking them anywhere for days at a time would have been a nightmare and they probably would have spent the whole time either hiding under a piece of furniture or trying to escape through any open door. If we went on long trips, we'd have a neighbor come by every few days to make sure everything was okay, clean the litter box, etc.

As for getting around town, I have no idea, but this being Buenos Aires I imagine you can get away with a lot. I recently saw a puppy on a colectivo. Some girl was holding it, but it didn't even have a leash. No one cared (it was really cute).

Is this your first kitty? If it is, you may not know that the great thing about a cat is that as long as you leave enough food, water and a litter box, you can leave it for days at a time provided that the temperature within your home won't become too extreme.

I have always had cats around, but never travelled with them. They were just too afraid even for their 10 mins ride to the vet office.
But this one is a kitty and perhaps we could get her used to travel. Plus in the past we always had family members that could help when we went away, while here we are almost alone (our Argentinian family doesn't like animal and clearly stated they wouldn't help).

With our last cat, we occasionally left for the weekend (max 2 nights out) and she was alone. However I don't think she liked to be in solitude, since she was used to spending 24 hour a days with us. When we went away for 20 days, we had a neighbor coming in twice a day to give her food, clean the litter and pet her, but she suffered anyway. So when we had to leave for 40 days, I took her to my mom's (unfortunately, she caught an infection and died after 30 days).

So, I know that most of cats hate traveling, but I believe that they hate changes in their routine more. Clearly, this would be more for my own peace of mind than hers.

Hi,
My husband and I just recently started traveling with our cats, all of them being 9 years or older, and they quickly acclimated to traveling and being in new apartments. For short weekend trips we don't bring them with us though and hire someone to come to our place twice a day.
For our most skittish kitty I got a carrier that has less mesh area and if we are in a loud area I put a blanket over his carrier. I also don't wash the pads in the bottom of the carriers, I just sweep of vacuum them after a trip so they keep the cat's smell on them.
Hope some of that helps!

So, I know that most of cats hate traveling, but I believe that they hate changes in their routine more. Clearly, this would be more for my own peace of mind than hers.

Traveling and being in a new place is a huge change in routine. I suppose it depends what your plans are, but I'd be nervous about leaving a cat in a hotel room as well (plus finding a place that accepts pets might be more challenging than finding travel arrangements.... 'pet rooms' tend to be nastier, from my US experience, don't really have much experience here in Argentina with that.)

Cats don't mind being alone all that much... they sleep most of the day anyway. :p

In any case, for most of those you have to ask the company and see if it's okay. Rules tend to be rather loose, so I doubt you'll have much issue, but better to ask beforehand.

Back