Travel Insurance Without Return Ticket

LAtoBA

Registered
Hello all:

I am headed back to BsAs in the next couple of weeks for a "permanent" move. Permanent meaning two or three years if everything works out. In any event, I have not purchased a return ticket because I honestly don't know when I'll be heading back to the states for a visit. It could be in July or it could be as late as December.

In any event, I wanted to buy travel insurance for the first 6 months to a year while living in Buenos Aires. I was all set to go with World Nomads but they have a stipulation that requires me to have a return ticket in order to get reimbursed. That unfortunately won't work because changing an international flight ticket for me is really cost prohibitive....already went through it and it cost US$350 just to change my flight date. So basically......I'm wondering if anyone knows of any travel insurance (most important medical) where I don't need to buy a return flight?!

Any suggestions? The reason why I am trying to go with travel insurance because it fits into my budget of about US$50 or less/month. Thanks in advance.

Is the reimbursement relating to the ticket or to everything.. as in if you dont have a return ticket they won't reimburse your ticket if something happens.. but everything else is ok, as in medical, personal effects etc..
I have often had one ways tickets, and never been told that I needed a return ticket for my travel insurance..
But going to BA i always get a return (open for a year) because its often cheaper or not much more expensive to get return, and the return date can be changed for around US$45..

davonz said:
Is the reimbursement relating to the ticket or to everything.. as in if you dont have a return ticket they won't reimburse your ticket if something happens.. but everything else is ok, as in medical, personal effects etc..
I have often had one ways tickets, and never been told that I needed a return ticket for my travel insurance..
But going to BA i always get a return (open for a year) because its often cheaper or not much more expensive to get return, and the return date can be changed for around US$45..

You know I'm not sure....in any event I just saw that they don't cover pre-exisitng conditions so they're out! I am an asthmatic and I essentially want coverage so that I can go to a doctor and get a script for my maintenance asthma medicine, Advair. Argentina has an equivalent that is considerably cheaper, ie a 1/4 of the cost in the US, which is priced at US$200/month in the US without insurance!

Anyone know of any travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions?

You know I'm not sure....in any event I just saw that they don't cover pre-exisitng conditions so they're out! I am an asthmatic and I essentially want coverage so that I can go to a doctor and get a script for my maintenance asthma medicine, Advair. Argentina has an equivalent that is considerably cheaper, ie a 1/4 of the cost in the US, which is priced at US$200/month in the US without insurance!

Anyone know of any travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions?
I'm looking into a couple of plan options from Blue Cross that cover pre-existing conditions. The GeoBlue Voyager Choice covers pre-existing conditions but requires a US plan. The Essential plan covers pre-existing conditions that haven't been treated in the previous 31 days. Those are for single trips of less than 6 months.

There are other options for expats and trips longer than 6 months:

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/

They offer reduced cover on some items (and reduced periods of coverage) for one-way trips, but at least this insurer does have policies for one-way travel as many travel insurance products do not - but read it carefully to see if it covers what you'd need for one-way travel. They have told me when I asked about the definition of return travel and it does not necessarily mean a return ticket - it can be two or a series of one way tickets, as long as your intention to return to your home country was clear and documented from setting off.

For sure they won't cover most issues related to pre-existing conditions health-wise or medications that you could/ should get from home.

For health insurance, just get a local policy when you get to Argentina - if you will be here 2 or 3 years you will need it as no travel insurance policy is going to cover you that long.

Hello all:

I am headed back to BsAs in the next couple of weeks for a "permanent" move. Permanent meaning two or three years if everything works out. In any event, I have not purchased a return ticket because I honestly don't know when I'll be heading back to the states for a visit. It could be in July or it could be as late as December.

In any event, I wanted to buy travel insurance for the first 6 months to a year while living in Buenos Aires. I was all set to go with World Nomads but they have a stipulation that requires me to have a return ticket in order to get reimbursed. That unfortunately won't work because changing an international flight ticket for me is really cost prohibitive....already went through it and it cost US$350 just to change my flight date. So basically......I'm wondering if anyone knows of any travel insurance (most important medical) where I don't need to buy a return flight?!

Any suggestions? The reason why I am trying to go with travel insurance because it fits into my budget of about US$50 or less/month. Thanks in advance.
Last time I checked, which was less than a week ago, for a friend coming here, World Nomads didn't offer coverage in Argentina. Which is weird, I have no idea why. Eventually we went with Assist Card, but less than $50 / month is going to be difficult I think.

You will need insurance with COVID 19 coverage anyway to come here.

Back