Travel to Ecuador Suggestions Needed

Risu

Registered
We are planning to travel to Ecuador and would appreciate any advise. We will be traveling in July with our 7 year old for about 14 days. Thanks!

I went there in 2008 for 3 weeks and had a great time. Ecuador is very different to Argentina. Quito is in the mountains and has a lovely old town which on Sundays was off limits to motorised vehicles. Lots of nice architecture and churches. Otavalo is a nearby Andean town with a famous market. I can also recommend a trip around the Quilotoa loop and climbing to the volcanic rim to look down on the crater lake, Lake Quilotoa. If you have the budget to do it and like wildlife, the Galapogos Islands is one of my favourite places in the whole world and I can't recommend it highly enough. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to see much else but I do plan to go back next year. To give you an idea these are my opinions as a backpacker staying in cheap hotels / hostels. Ecuador is much cheaper than Argentina (and the cash machines will give you dollars!!!)

Ecuador is cheap and interesting. I was there in january.

Food is very cheap, i spent around US$3 a day, usually US$1.50 for lunch, soup with main - usually rice, meat and some veges with a juice. My most expensive meal was US$3.50 for a huge plate of chow mein and drink - but enough for 2 people and very very good - even had shrimp in it. I would usually eat my main meal at lunch time, then have something small for dinner.
Fruit is very cheap, and good. When you come back to BSAS you will cry everytime you by bananas as they were US$0.25 or less a kg... Mangos, pineapple etc could all be had for very little money.

Bus travel is dirt cheap, usually around US$1 per hour, however because of the typography sometimes you dont cover much distance. However the quality of the road if very good, even if they are winding.
Otovalo to Quito was 2 hours. Quito to Banos was 5 hours. Banos to Cuenca 8 hours, but had to change in riobamba.

Accommodation was usually between US$5 to $7 a night for my own room in local hotels - nothing special, but clean. But i did pay up to US$11, mostly because i was too lazy to walk further, or look at other places.

I'd spend the most of the time at Galapagos. It's slightly more expensive than the continental part of Ecuador but it's worth it.
My suggestion is that you don't waste your time to see the cities, they are all crap, in general. The only thing worth seeing is the nature so try to be as close to it as you can. The second beautiful place after the islands is the jungle, I'd recommend you find some good tour and spend some days there (it's recommended a yellow fever vaccination, although during the las 30 years there is almost zero of the known cases of this disease)

In the cities be very careful and attentive because the robbery in Ecuador comes to very high level, especially in Quito, its historical part, at Mariscal, in the buses, etc.
Galapagos are safe.

(I have to go now, but if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've been living in Ecuador for 20 months, although I'm still not an expert but....)

I agree with the post above regarding nature. I didn't go to Galapagos, but I'm told it's amazing. Quito is actually quite central. From there, you can reach most of the tourist locations, and trip time isn't very long.

I was working in Ecuador, and I didn't do a lot of traveling myself. However, some coworkers of mine traveled every weekend. They'd head out on Friday for the beaches, Yasuni, the hot springs in Papallacta, Mindo, etc, etc. We were there for 12 weeks, and they took a trip almost every weekend.

Safety is a big issue. The downtown area of Quito, La Mariscal, is filled with military police carrying large guns at night. I was working for a government organization, so I often heard many horror stories of things happening to tourists. The Ecuadorian newspapers run columns every day about "inseguridad." There are TV programs that allow viewers to call in and report crimes because the police are viewed as corrupt/ineffective.

People complain about crime in Buenos Aires... Ha, it has nothing on Quito. And I was told by some of my bosses in Quito that it didn't even compare to Central America. :eek:

I avoided taking taxis off the street; 90 percent of the time I called. Be careful when taking money out of ATMs -- one of my coworkers had her card data swiped somehow at an ATM. Watch your account online! And if you're a U.S. citizen, register with the U.S. Embassy in Quito (via travel.state.gov).

Remember Quito is really high up there. For the first several weeks, my body fought the altitude. If Quito will be your first destination, take it easy. The teleferico (cable car) there is amazing, but I wouldn't take it the first couple of days that you're there. I went up on the third day, and the shocking height that you climb combined with the lack of oxygen almost made me pass out! But the view is so, so, so beautiful.

Have a great trip!

Thank you all for your good information. Must admit we are concerned about the reports of criminal activity but thought since we live in Buenos Aires would be more savvy than a tourist from Europe or the States. However, savvy or not something dreadful could happen. Since we will be traveling with child are more concerned than if just us. Appreciate the advise to steer clear of the cities & be in nature, which is what we are yearning for anyway. Please keep the suggestions coming as we find them very helpful.

Good advice from everyone. I spent 5 weeks there and loved it as well. It' really as an ideal place to visit, I think, because it has everything - mountains, beaches, lakes, hot springs, jungles, rivers, etc. Quito is very well centrally located in the country and a nice base for exploration, etc. Here are my favorite places:

1) Otavalo - Nice mountainy city a little north of Quito. Very traditional with handicraft markets, local markets, hiking to old Inca roads and waterfalls around the area and pretty chill. We stayed there a few days but could have easily longer. You can stop by the "Mitad del Mundo" the Equator monument that's cheesy but worth an hour or two stop.

2) Baños - Very nice town south of Quito, kind of resorty for Ecuadorians. Lots of waterfall, biking, hiking possibilities around the town and another good place to chill for a few days or so.

3) Quilotoa volcano - South of Quito before Baños. Very traditional, altiplano area with volcanic craters (as SA2011 mentioned). LOved the hiking around the craters as well and it's in the middle of nowhere but worth it.

4) Mindo - Nice town Northwest of Quito. I had a nice hike to a waterfall which included all sorts of different birds and a butterfly sanctuary plus a swimming hole that was fun to jump into and really refereshing.

5) Jungle (Coca) - Amazon jungle area where you can take a trip through an Amazon tributary. Had a great 5 day trip but with kids maight be too much

6) Galapagos - An amazing experience but MUCH more expensive and, really, nothing resembling the rest of mainland Ecuador. The flights out there are almost $500 (one price, no bargaining, one airline) and when I was there the entrance in to the Galapagos was $100 per person. In general, people take week long (or so) boat trips. I booked in Ecuador when I arrived and got a great deal on a wonderful boat (can't remember the name) but it was $900 for the week all inclusive with a great cabin, tons of excellent food, boat rides to all of the major islands and great memories.

Have a GREAT trip!

I'd skip Quito. Boring city. Not much to do. I'd definitely hit Guayaquil. Beautiful city on the coast just a couple hours from the beach resort towns of Salinas and Esmeraldas. If you got the time and the cash i'd definitely try to go to Galapagos.

Be careful at night. Especially in the poorer neighborhoods. Bring small bills. Have a great time and don't mind the humidity.

I've been to Ecuador 3 times, for more than two months total; Quito, Cuenca, Otavalo, Cotacachi, Latacunga, the Quilotoa loop, Alausi, Loja, and Vilcabamba to name a few. Of them all, especially with a youngster, I would recommend Banos. It is a small town with amazing views of Vocan Tungurahua. Better yet are the views of Banos from the surrounding mountainsides which have safe, well marked trails. Banos depends on tourism and is a little too touristy, but there is a very strong police presence and, I think, also a police academy. Their economy depends on tourism; they appreciate your business; want you to have a safe, fun stay and to return.

Your 7 year old won't care so much about this, but I thought the restaurants were amazing. A wide variety, great food, cozy atmospheres and dirt cheap prices. I think we actually ate cheaper eating out in Banos than we would have spent on groceries in Florida. I definately plan on making another trip to Ecuador and staying primarily in Banos.

Back