Travelin S.A. in motorhome

stu banks

Registered
My friend and I are two kiwis that arrived in Argentina about 10 days ago. We are in the process of buying an X school bus and converting it into a motorhome and traveling to U.S.A. and perhaps further north. We both well understand that there will be many pitfalls along the way. The first of witch is acquiring the proper documentation for this viechel and papers that will allow us to leave the country with the viechel. What we were hopeing to find was somone that has done this kind of thing befor that could give us some advice.

Getting out of Argentina is hard. You can buy the vehicle, buy insurance and travel around Argentina pretty easily but you can't leave the country with your vehicle without a DNI. Nothing else will do. Getting a DNI is a verrrry long process. Sorry not to be more encouraging.

On the plus side, Argentine insurance normally covers the whole of mercosur.

> give us some advice

Start in Canada or the US and head South.
“Schoolies” or converted school buses are very popular in Canada or the U.S. , easy to buy and easy to build. It is also easy to acquire the tools and materials needed.
Absolutely everything will be a headache in Argentina and you will be “ripped-off” at every turn.

When do you plan on leaving and would you have room for one more?

How do you propose to cross the Darien Gap in a school bus?

People who post here already did that aventure but in a 4x4 vehicle, make a search to find out, if I recall right all of them initiated the trip from the north of the continent, awesome stuff.

It could be an incredible journey and expedition but one that needs to be very well thought-out and prepared for. Searching for advise on a public forum about living in Buenos Aires may not be the best first step.

Safe journeys.

Back