Traveling by bus or car to Iguazu and farther...

jojo123

Registered
Anyone here have experience with taking buses for long distances? What's the best company for traveling to Iguazu? And is the "cama" service really OK? I read that it is, but I get impatient, etc.

Also curious if anyone has any car rental tips. I like to drive, how much would it be to rent a car to drive e.g. to Patagonia? Do you know of any special deals?

jojo123 said:
Anyone here have experience with taking buses for long distances? What's the best company for traveling to Iguazu? And is the "cama" service really OK? I read that it is, but I get impatient, etc.
I've travelled tens of thousands of kilometres by bus all around South America (I've not been to the Guianas yet but time will tell..) In Argentina my first choice is always Andesmar. It's not the cheapest but the quality is very good and the crews are well trained and cope impeccably with emergencies (trust me, I know this - and so will you if you travel enough ks.) Their cama service is more or less equivalent to flying business class and the seats all have fold down leg support platforms which make them the next best thing to lying in bed.

The standard and quality of long distance bus services is generally very good in Argentina and I'm sure other travellers have other recommendations - and warnings too. I've stuck with Andesmar because my first -koff-koff- impeccably dealt-with emergency happened fairly early on in my bus riding career. Unfortunately the standard and quality of services in other countries is variable to say the least. My approach is to ignore the printed promo material and physically inspect the buses outside the bus terminals and make my own mind up.

To answer your question about Rio from another post, according to this site...
http://www.omnilineas.com/argentina/bus/retiro/rio-de-janeiro-brasil/
...only Crucero del Norte go all the way. In my experience they are good and reliable but may not always give you the degree of comfort you might like for a very long run. If you have the time, why not make the journey in stages, picking and choosing your ride each step of the way?

Back