Traveling By Ship From Usa To Argentina

polostar88

Registered
I was wondering if anyone has info on how to travel by ship from northeast USA (Boston-NYC area is fine) to Argentina or Uruguay. Anything from cargo ship travel to repositioning cruise or whatever would be fine. Even better if you know someone with a private yacht who would be willing to take a passenger. I'm a professor on a sort of sabbatical so time is not an issue, but I'd really prefer to travel by ship rather than to fly.

Amazing that there aren't any options for sea travel anymore.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. Nice bottle of champagne on me when I get to BsAs.

I did a bit of research on this a while back - there are options. At least one of the major cruise lines (Princess? Celebrity?) runs Miami to Valparaiso, and Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. But if you're looking for more adventure, Google "cargo ship travel", "freighter travel", and, as a bonus "tall ship travel". I found a schooner voyage from the Caribbean to Brazil (or maybe it was Montevideo) in my searches.

When I came here some years ago there was a cargo ship that carried a LOT of passengers ( normally they take only twelve or they are required to have a doctor) . A luxurious ship. Apparently gone. A couple of years ago a friend researched cargo ships to Argentina They carried passengers then. Schedules are not exact and fares are not low. Wineguy is correct about cruise ships from the US that go down the Argentine coast, around Cape Horn and up to Valparaiso. I did this from BA to Valparaiso. It was a Celebrity ship -- nice ship, good food. Only complaint was the music piped into the decks and most lounges. This would be cheaper than a cargo ship and a lot nicer. Be careful which line you choose. Not all are good. Except for trans-Atlantic (Southampton-NYC) where there is regular service, most passenger ships (other than cruise ships) have disappeared leaving a diminishing number of cargo ships that take on passengers.

Back