Traveling On Options

Johnny

Registered
I'll likely be leaving BsAs come the middle of March. Ordinarily I've narrowed the possibilities down to one or two countries/cities when its time to skedaddle. But not this time. So, I thought I would think out loud a bit and invite any fellow nomads to weigh in. Asia crossed off the list this time as I've been to much of it.

The options so far:

Morocco. I've never been to Africa, so at the very least I could knock out one more continent. I'd like to think I could go back in time and see Tangier in the days of Paul Bowles and Burroughs. Unlikely to happen. Does anybody have some recent experience in Tangier, Marrakesh, Casablanca or Rabat ?

Victoria, Canada. Seems an interesting city. I can do six months there, if I like, on a USA tourist visa. Not so far from Vancouver and Seattle. I've never been to the Pacific Northwest.

Portugal. I spent some time in Lisbon and the Algarve Coast earlier this year. Interesting, and cheap in comparison to much of the rest of Europe. Also, the residency program looks to be much simpler than in France, Spain or Italy. If I decided to rest my traveling shoes.

Others down the list a bit are Croatia and Hungary. Maybe a bit of Eastern Europe.

Much thanks for any insights !

Last summer we traveled for 3 months in the countries of the old Yugoslavia, + Albania, mostly staying along the coast. Easy travel, beautiful places, good, inexpensive food and lodging. If we made reservations, it was the day of or day before. We started in Albania and rented a car, going north and sometimes east. If you want to talk about that trip, we'd be happy to meet with you.
Nancy

Canada is quite inexpensive right now if you live with US dollars and the cost of living in Victoria is quite a bit cheaper than Vancouver. Victoria is a friendly, safe and very walkable city. It would seem rather boring after the chaos of BA but would certainly provide a change of pace.

Portugal does sound appealing though.

Canada is quite inexpensive right now if you live with US dollars and the cost of living in Victoria is quite a bit cheaper than Vancouver. Victoria is a friendly, safe and very walkable city. It would seem rather boring after the chaos of BA but would certainly provide a change of pace.

Portugal does sound appealing though.

Thanks Richard. A walkable city always appeals to me.

Portugal is appealing, though Lisbon is not a great walking city... unless you are a mountain goat.

Take Morroco to live the times of Paul Bowles, and Boroughs as in Bertolucci's film Sheltering Skies...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sheltering_Sky_(film)

Marrakesh is a natural choice

Spend your summer in Split Croatia and enjoy the islands, beaches and outdoors.. As for winter time - it gets quiet and your better off moving again to more action like Barcelona.

Spend your summer in Split Croatia and enjoy the islands, beaches and outdoors.. As for winter time - it gets quiet and your better off moving again to more action like Barcelona.

I'll look at Split. I was also thinking about Dubrovnik.

I travel often. These are my favorite cities

Bucharest Tirana
Cape Town Valencia
Riga Vilnius
Skopje Zagreb

I love Izmir, but it can't be listed.because of problems in Turkey
T compare costs of living.... numbeo.com

Tbilisi

I travel often. These are my favorite cities

Bucharest Tirana
Cape Town Valencia
Riga Vilnius
Skopje Zagreb

I love Izmir, but it can't be listed.because of problems in Turkey
T compare costs of living.... numbeo.com

Tbilisi

Thanks John. An interesting list. Its a pity about Turkey isn't it ? I was in Istanbul November before last, just about the time some small terrorist attacks began. I'd like to return, but it looks like things are going to get worse in Turkey long before they get better.

Back