Traveling to Buenos Aires

skolka

Registered
After the covid situation ends and Argentina allows travelers back. I plan on moving to Argentina for an extended stay. My question: what is the penalty for brining more than $10,000 US dollars into the country if I declare it. Other than being robbed, will Argentina tax me on the money, make me show where it was spent ect..

to my recollection there are no issues bringing USD in. i don't know if you even have to declare it, probably if you did it might raise more eyebrows haha.

the bigger issue would be your safety carrying around that much cash, honestly. i wouldn't chance it.

After the covid situation ends and Argentina allows travelers back. I plan on moving to Argentina for an extended stay. My question: what is the penalty for brining more than $10,000 US dollars into the country if I declare it. Other than being robbed, will Argentina tax me on the money, make me show where it was spent ect..

Considering that during international travel your luggage will be x-rayed and inspected several times, you will most definitely be flagged at the very least for having 10K in cash, so you may not have a choice about not declaring it. Argentina is not some backwater Caribbean tax haven, law enforcement here has strong ties to INTERPOL et al. Taxes will be the least of your worries if you can't satisfactorily explain why you have that much money in cash.

As said before safety should be your biggest concern as it is not unheard of for those working for Aduanas to have contacts "outside" who could get a tip off as to your whereabouts etc. If you need to declare it, then you declare it so you cannot leave with an amount over the permitted $10.000 amount. Of course you need to substantiate where it came from (e.g. a bank withdrawal slip) same goes if you ever need to deposit it in a bank or use it for any registered transaction.

On the other-hand $10.000 does not take up much room - a fat-ish envelope perhaps. You could also keep it in your jacket pockets which along with you does not get x-rayed to raise attention...

You may, as far as I know, bring any amount of cash you like on your trip. The key criteria is to DECLARE IT and have documentation proving it is from a lawful source / transaction, such as a withdrawal from your bank account. Having said that, anyone with $10K+ USD going through Ezeiza is going to be a celebrity as far as aduanas is concerned. And they are not all honest, so there is a very real possibility that you could be marked for robbery as soon as you leave the front door of the airport terminal. The better, no make that the best thing I think one could do would be to carry a far lesser sum of cash, and use a debit or credit card for whatever you would spend that much cash on while you are in the country. Yes, you may have transaction costs, but think of it as cheap insurance vs being robbed of 100% of your bankroll.

We were stopped once in Houston on a flight to BA, as my wife and I were walking thru the jetway or boarding bridge, and taken to a small office. We had to declare how much cash we had, and then they made us empty all our pockets, and they searched our carry-ons, etc. They counted all the money we had, and since it was less than $10K, they let us board. Thus, you can also lose your money if more than $10k INSIDE the USA if you don't declare it. Good luck.

Further to @rickulivi the point is about taking money in or out of any given country. The USA sets a limit of USD10,000 before you have to declare it, divided between the people traveling together as a group. Check out this article in the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2019-12-17/travel-fly-guy-for-december-22

Different countries, different rules. Some specify USD, some EUR. Some have limits as low as the equivalent of USD3,000 and maybe someone knows somewhere with even lower limits. The point is, understand the rules for the place you are leaving, the places you are transiting through and the rules for your destination and don't get caught out.

We were stopped once in Houston on a flight to BA, as my wife and I were walking thru the jetway or boarding bridge, and taken to a small office. We had to declare how much cash we had, and then they made us empty all our pockets, and they searched our carry-ons, etc. They counted all the money we had, and since it was less than $10K, they let us board. Thus, you can also lose your money if more than $10k INSIDE the USA if you don't declare it. Good luck.
You can be anywhere in EE UU with a large cash sum of money on your person or in your belongings and if found out by law enforcement, even if it is legitimately your money, you will have a lot of explaining to do. They simply conclude that most people don't walk around with this much cash and it has to be illegal. If you can't sufficiently demonstrate the money is A- yours & B- non illegal, then kiss it goodbye.

Be careful, at any airport. Some "plain clothes" official may decide to strip search you...Usually, they stand after you have cleared the immigration and about to go to the boarding gate to leave the country ; it never happens when entering the country.

Back