Traveling to Buenos Aires

I understand declaring the money when you leave the USA, that is not a big deal. Everything will be legal. I just figure if I am going to be in Argentina for 3-6 months $10,000 will cover my expenses (Rent, food, travel, entertainment ect..) especially if I exchange the money (not all at once) for the blue rate on Florida Ave or any other cambio establishment.

I understand declaring the money when you leave the USA, that is not a big deal. Everything will be legal. I just figure if I am going to be in Argentina for 3-6 months $10,000 will cover my expenses (Rent, food, travel, entertainment ect..) especially if I exchange the money (not all at once) for the blue rate on Florida Ave or any other cambio establishment.
You can accomplish pretty near the same exact thing (getting the blue rate) by sending the money to yourself via WU in small amounts as you need it. Think of the commission you pay on each transaction as the cost of insurance against getting robbed of a large sum of money all at once. Also, think of not having to carry around $10K with you everywhere you go, assuming you don't leave the money in your rental, which could be a problem, too.

I am not calling you a fool, but I would like to remind you of the old saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

There are so many financial tools available to you today and most of them offer great protections. I urge you to think this one over carefully.

Best of luck!

Hopping on this thread to see if anyone has seen any rumors of when the country may open back up to tourism...I'm hoping to go back to the states to get vaccinated in may and want to be able to come back without marrying someone for residency.

i usually have trouble going from the US to colombia. searched after providing my ticket to the airlines in the hallway on the way to the plane and again in hallways after immigration in colombia. carry on bag and personal

never going to argentina. never exceed the limits but still unsettling

Wondering if a traveler to BA can get an advantage in hotels by booking on a BA agency in Pesos than converting dollars to pesos at the blue rate to pay that bill upon departure? I have heard a couple of Youtubers claim using a VPN to book a hotel or air fare can result in savings at times by switching your location by some step with the VPN to appear to be booking from a different country than the on you are in. Does this idea make any sense at all? Im a novice to big exchange values for a currency so trying to wrap my head around it all.

Most of the main hotels that cater to foreigners have their rates based on blue rates anyways so you really don't stand to save much.

I often stay in hotels here.. not much difference in USD or pesos ( blue Dollar) price.

Be really careful. Your biggest threat is theft. The airport employees will call thieves (friends) to rob you once you leave the airport. Also, these days just carrying cash around the police can confiscate it. It happens all the time. There was a guy that flew to Arizona to buy a semi truck and they confiscated his funds and haven't given it back yet.

I have a friend that sold an apartment and refused to pay the 3% to wire it. She was leaving Argentina and the police in the airport brought her into a room. They swapped out some of her cash and tried to accuse her of carrying around counterfeit bills. They switched it out. Be really careful.

Be really careful. Your biggest threat is theft. The airport employees will call thieves (friends) to rob you once you leave the airport. Also, these days just carrying cash around the police can confiscate it. It happens all the time. There was a guy that flew to Arizona to buy a semi truck and they confiscated his funds and haven't given it back yet.

I have a friend that sold an apartment and refused to pay the 3% to wire it. She was leaving Argentina and the police in the airport brought her into a room. They swapped out some of her cash and tried to accuse her of carrying around counterfeit bills. They switched it out. Be really careful.
Cash is a real problem. Get caught or stopped with too much of it on your person and it gets confiscated with the assumption you are involved in illegal activity. Then the burden of proof is on the cash holder to demonstrate the money is from a legitimate source. Anything more than a few thousand dollars on your person, you are asking for trouble.

Back