Traveling to the USA with cash

Sdiz.usa

Registered
Due to a recent sell of property I will be traveling to the USA with more than $10,000 dollars. I know the risks this involves and have taken some precautions.
Does anybody have advice as how I inform USA Customs prior to boarding the plane with this amount? Is there a form I need to fill at EZIEZA airport?
Anybody with experience during the TSA checkpoint with cash? Thanks

I thought you don't need to declare $10K or under. I'd be most worried about being stopped by the cops either here or the US. They say they smell mariquana in your car and proceed with a search. The cash is then subject to civil forfeiture. You'd be better to offload the dollars to an eager expat you trust and have him wire the money in your presence into your bank account. It would be a lot less stressful.

I believe you MUST inform AFIP first, otherwise, if smelled by dogs or whatever leads to authorities stopping you from boarding you won't make the flight.
Tread carefully.

The US Customs has their regular forms delivered prior to landing, as far as I can remember.

Beware of local authorities before caring about entering the US

Iz

Due to a recent sell of property I will be traveling to the USA with more than $10,000 dollars. I know the risks this involves and have taken some precautions.
Does anybody have advice as how I inform USA Customs prior to boarding the plane with this amount? Is there a form I need to fill at EZIEZA airport?
Anybody with experience during the TSA checkpoint with cash? Thanks
I have traveled with cash in excess of $10K many times ... I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM .... it is fully within the scope of the law!!

There is no limit to the amount of cash a person can travel with.

However, there are points you need to be aware of:

When traveling internationally, you MUST DECLARE it on your customs form.

And there is a strong likelihood that the country you exit as well as the country you enter will want to interview you. I strongly suggest setting time aside in your itinerary ... ie ... don't make connections close together in time etc ... because you may not make them if your interviewer's curiosity take a while to satisfy.

In order to be prepared for your interview, I HIGHLY SUGGEST having some form of RELIABLE (As in above board!!!) DOCUMENTATION that supports how you or why you posses this much cash. And be prepared to answer questions as to what your intent is to do with the money when you reach your destination.

For example ... A receipt from a bank indicating the cash was recently withdrawn from your account. The documents from a large financial transaction ... such as selling a dwelling, exotic car, object of art, piece of fine jewelry etc ... It never hurts to have the documents LEGALIZED / NOTARIZED. As a general rule, take all of the documentation you have available to you because customs officers and law enforcement officials will have the predisposition that you are criminal in nature (Drug related or some other type of criminal enterprise.) It also helps if you look presentable ... these guys are profilers ... look the part of an honest person.

Good luck!

I think el Tigre's advice is excellent. Be cautioned too that finding the correct forms to fill out is not easy.

A few years ago, my wife and I took a plane trip from California to Argentina, with a connection in Houston. In this city, as we were boarding the plane and walking thru the sleeve to get into the plane, two police officers pulled us aside. They asked how much cash we had, we said, and they emptied our pockets and carryons, and looked feverlishy thru everything. We had exactly what we told them, and left us to pack everything, and then were allowed into the plane. We had far less than $10,000. We were profiled. I guess we must look rich, because we are not. I think it's safer to wire the money.

I think el Tigre's advice is excellent. Be cautioned too that finding the correct forms to fill out is not easy.

A few years ago, my wife and I took a plane trip from California to Argentina, with a connection in Houston. In this city, as we were boarding the plane and walking thru the sleeve to get into the plane, two police officers pulled us aside. They asked how much cash we had, we said, and they emptied our pockets and carryons, and looked feverlishy thru everything. We had exactly what we told them, and left us to pack everything, and then were allowed into the plane. We had far less than $10,000. We were profiled. I guess we must look rich, because we are not. I think it's safer to wire the money.
Rick,

You made a great point ... While not always possible, move the money electronically if you can. The transaction cost is well worth the avoidance of potential robbery or seizure.

My two cents addition to Tigre's excellent advice:
Check the US Customs website for regulations. Print the information and carry it with you. https://www.cbp.gov/

I understand that, to carry more than USA$10,000, you need proof of the money's provenance.
Carry copies of your property's sale papers - that should be enough to satisfy customs.

And when you arrive in the US, any bank deposits over $9999 will be reported to the IRS, so again you will need a strategy and documents to avoid being taxed in the US

I’m sorry to add that I would not want a bunch of customs officers at EZE to know (and possibly share) that you were traveling with so much cash.

I’m sorry to add that I would not want a bunch of customs officers at EZE to know (and possibly share) that you were traveling with so much cash.
I would see a security problem declaring loads of cash upon arrival to EZE, not leaving EZE on a flight.

Back