Traveller in Buenos Aires and shipping problem, customs

owerdose

Registered
Hello,

I just came to Buenos Aires yesterday. Originally I am from Switzerland and decided to travel around South America and my first stop is Buenos Aires. Unfortunately when I took the flight two days ago from Switzerland, I forgot my smartphone at home. Now my parents want to send it to me via DHL or UPS but according to my research in google, it could be a pain in the back to do shipping to Argentina especially if it is about electronics. It is not very new but relatively new phone. I didn't buy it but I had it with a renewal contract with service provider. I don't even remember where the recipe is.

I am planning to leave Argentina in two weeks and do you think is there any way to proof that it is not for reselling but for personal usage? I don't want to waste my money by buying a new phone especially at the beginning of my trip.

I read couple of threads in the forum as well but it is mostly about online shopping. So I wanted to open this thread, sorry for inconvenience.

It is Samsung S8+ and 3 months old.
The new price of the phone is 675 USD in Switzerland.
I have no idea about second hand prices.

Thanks in advance for any help..

Regards,

Mike

ben

Registered
Shipping high-value electronics here is a bad idea.
You will be have left the country before your six-month ordeal to recover the phone even begins.
It will be a pain in much more than the back.

Churchill

Registered
Wherever you are off to next, be it even a small glacier floating off the Antarctic, will be a better place to receive it than Argentina. Sorry.

cig0

Registered
Hi @owerdose, sorry to hear about that. What about Uruguay's customs? It could be easier to ask your parents to ship it to Montevideo and pick it up there.

owerdose

Registered
Hi @owerdose, sorry to hear about that. What about Uruguay's customs? It could be easier to ask your parents to ship it to Montevideo and pick it up there.
I thought about it as well but I have no idea how it would work. Do you have any idea about those customs?

cig0

Registered
I thought about it as well but I have no idea how it would work. Do you have any idea about those customs?
I asked a coworker from .uy if he knows, I will have the answer once he get online and replies my back :)

cig0

Registered
Bad news: same thing as here in .ar. In the best scenario the customs will retain it for some time (a month, with any luck) and you will have to pay a tax in order to retrieve it. I'm sorry about that :confused:

owerdose

Registered
Bad news: same thing as here in .ar. In the best scenario the customs will retain it for some time (a month, with any luck) and you will have to pay a tax in order to retrieve it. I'm sorry about that :confused:
thank you very much for your effort.. i think ı am not gonna be able to receive it..