Travelling In Argentina With Expired Visa?

ladyleur

Registered
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew what the situation was for travelling within Argentina with an expired passport. I was wanting to head to Uruguay in January but I have an expired tourist visa and I had a friend who recently returned and was questioned a fair bit so I was thinking of avoiding that route and heading down south but i don't want to bear the 24 hour bus journeys. Does anyone know if they check your passport and visa status at Jorge Newberry if you are travelling within Argentina?

Thanks!

no idea, but i put a similar post on here yesterday (same section). no responses yet..let me know if you find out, as im in the same boat as you

Will do!!!
The only recent news I have heard was from someone who went to Uruguay for the day and when they returned (they hadn't overstayed and was in the 90 day limit) they were questioned for about 20 minutes and they even called her next of kin here who had to say they supported them as the ins and outs of the passport clearly showed they had been living here. I know they were let back in but the experience didn't sound too fun!

Will do!!!
The only recent news I have heard was from someone who went to Uruguay for the day and when they returned (they hadn't overstayed and was in the 90 day limit) they were questioned for about 20 minutes and they even called her next of kin here who had to say they supported them as the ins and outs of the passport clearly showed they had been living here. I know they were let back in but the experience didn't sound too fun!

Oh, how times have changed at migraciones for boat travelers! From Feb 1999to Dec 2011, I went by Buquebus to Colonia every 90 days to renew my tourist visa and had no problems. It was obvious that I was living in Argentina. Glad I finally obtained citizenship last year.

We might be going to UY by car and if so, I'm going to be paying the overstay fine online for the first time. But they are sooooo lax at the car crossing (the one near Fray Bentos) I have a feeling it won't be a problem... if the trip pans out I will report back.

It is a bad idea to travel with an overstayed i-94. There are gendarmería control checks where you can be arrested.

It is a bad idea to travel with an overstayed i-94. There are gendarmería control checks where you can be arrested.

Really do you think it is this extreme? Travelling from Jorge Newberry to Bariloche for example do they check your passport and visa dates?

Traveling on a "expired tourist visa" is something different from traveling on a "overstayed entry permit".

tourist visa = what is granted by the embassy of Argentina in your home country with probably a sticker or big stamp covering the whole page of your passport having a validity date ( tourist visa always a has a validity period). Usually people from countries like Congo, Somalia, Sierre Leonne,Nigeria etc need it. For sake of this discussion, lets call them countries with "Tier 4" passport

entry permit= what people get on their American or European or Australian passport at time of entering Argentina at the Argentine airport or border entry point. For sake of this discussion, lets call them countries with Tier 1 passport.

Now a person traveling with a Tier 1 passport overstaying and abusing the immigration laws is treated differently and probably let go with some harsh words and a fine.

However a person traveling with a Tier 4 passport and abusing the tourist visa, overstaying on it without a permit to overstay from migraciones may get arrested, get deported and may find himself jailed with refugees and criminals.

So best way? Not to overstay a tourist visa and leave the country before its validity. If you plan to overstay and abuse the tourist visa, better to meet a citizenship lawyer and never try to cross the border entry point till you become a citizen. And if you indeed plan doing this (the contrary), come armed with your apostilled Police clearance certificate and date of birth certificate.

Hope this answers your question.

Back