Travis from the Old Dominion (Arriving at the end of June)

TravisJames

Registered
Good day,

My name is Travis and I'm an imports consultant from Virginia. First, I have to thank everyone on this forum for providing some superb information. It has been integral in my planning.

One thing I haven't been able to pin down just yet is: to buy the one-way ticket or go for the return as well? Most of the tickets I have been looking at (out of Dulles) seem to be inconvenient and laden with fees when it comes to making changes (I wanted a ticket from June-Jan with the option of changing the return date). However, the one-way option appears based on a little luck, with some of the posts on here talking about no problems and then the other half mentioning they had to buy last minute return tickets and cancel once they get to Argentina.

I'm leaning one-way. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

TravisJames said:
Good day,

My name is Travis and I'm an imports consultant from Virginia. First, I have to thank everyone on this forum for providing some superb information. It has been integral in my planning.

One thing I haven't been able to pin down just yet is: to buy the one-way ticket or go for the return as well? Most of the tickets I have been looking at (out of Dulles) seem to be inconvenient and laden with fees when it comes to making changes (I wanted a ticket from June-Jan with the option of changing the return date). However, the one-way option appears based on a little luck, with some of the posts on here talking about no problems and then the other half mentioning they had to buy last minute return tickets and cancel once they get to Argentina.

I'm leaning one-way. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend that you call the airline and just ask. I've never travelled on a one way ticket before, but I've been with people that have and normally it's the airline that causes the problems, and not the country. They generally want you to have a return ticket.

Also, wouldn't a round trip ticket + change fee still be cheaper than paying for two one way tickets?

AndrewWoodward said:
I'd recommend that you call the airline and just ask. I've never travelled on a one way ticket before, but I've been with people that have and normally it's the airline that causes the problems, and not the country. They generally want you to have a return ticket.

Also, wouldn't a round trip ticket + change fee still be cheaper than paying for two one way tickets?

Hey, thanks for your reply. You are correct about the round trip being cheaper than two one way tickets. Right now it's $908 for one way, and $1444 for round trip, while the change fee is $250. However, I was hoping to figure out a travel route from Argentina-Chile-Peru to visit some friends and fly out of Lima at the end.

I guess your best move would be to check with the airline if you can fly back from Lima. A friend of mine did something similar, with a round trip ticket. They also gave her a discount from BA to Lima.
All the best,
Mia.

Back