Tried to go through self-check today, and now I feel like an idiot.

lostravenblue

Registered
My Spanish is still really bad, so I was trying to use Google Translate to navigate the self check. Because I had like 3 things, and the line for the registers was to the other end of the store. I figured how bad could it be? Well, first, I couldn't figure out how to ring up a red pepper pimienta wasn't on the produce list. I have since figured out that the wrong kind of pepper, but I'm still not sure what the right word is. Then when I got to the payment screen, I selected the card option, and it wanted me to choose a plan. I guess a payment plan with different interest rates? But that doesn't make much sense to me why that would be an option. Anyway, by then, I was so confused and overwhelmed, I just canceled everything and took the walk of shame back into the regular line. I cannot wait to be more functional in Spanish.

believe me... we've all been there :)

I learned at the register one of my first grocery experiences that you have to print your own produce labels. that was embarrassing

believe me... we've all been there :)

I learned at the register one of my first grocery experiences that you have to print your own produce labels. that was embarrassing
Yeah, there's usually a combination scale and label printer doodad right where the produce is sold. Often, there are separate ones for fruit and vegetables. The nice thing about this is that you can look at the sign over the produce item to find out what it's called. Of course, this being Argentina, it's still complicated. Last time I was at the local Disco, there were like 7 different types of lettuce to sort through.

If you mean that thing like a red bell pepper, it's Morrón or Pimentón.

Yeah, there's usually a combination scale and label printer doodad right where the produce is sold. Often, there are separate ones for fruit and vegetables. The nice thing about this is that you can look at the sign over the produce item to find out what it's called. Of course, this being Argentina, it's still complicated. Last time I was at the local Disco, there were like 7 different types of lettuce to sort through.

If you mean that thing like a red bell pepper, it's Morrón or Pimentón.
yeah... it makes sense now, but the first time I just expected they weigh and ring it up at the register haha. I never noticed the machines by the produce

yeah... it makes sense now, but the first time I just expected they weigh and ring it up at the register haha. I never noticed the machines by the produce
I did exactly the same thing, my friend!
It's how things work in the land of the Big PX, so of course we all expect it to be the same here. Until we learn it isn't.

FWIW in my local Carrefour you just bag the produce yourself and they weigh and price it at the checkout

Self checkouts here aren’t that great anyway. They only accept local cards. If you want to pay in cash, the machine prints a ticket out with a code that you then have to take to a cash point and pay. So you do the Arg classic of queuing up twice.

I find supermarkets are at their emptiest between 2-5pm Mon-Fri.

Self checkouts here aren’t that great anyway. They only accept local cards. If you want to pay in cash, the machine prints a ticket out with a code that you then have to take to a cash point and pay. So you do the Arg classic of queuing up twice.

I find supermarkets are at their emptiest between 2-5pm Mon-Fri.
i have used my foreign visa several times at jumbo in the self checkout

My Spanish is still really bad, so I was trying to use Google Translate to navigate the self check. Because I had like 3 things, and the line for the registers was to the other end of the store. I figured how bad could it be? Well, first, I couldn't figure out how to ring up a red pepper pimienta wasn't on the produce list. I have since figured out that the wrong kind of pepper, but I'm still not sure what the right word is. Then when I got to the payment screen, I selected the card option, and it wanted me to choose a plan. I guess a payment plan with different interest rates? But that doesn't make much sense to me why that would be an option. Anyway, by then, I was so confused and overwhelmed, I just canceled everything and took the walk of shame back into the regular line. I cannot wait to be more functional in Spanish.

I had hundreds of those painful awkward situations when I was first learning Spanish. It's part of the process. As long as you keep trying, you'll get to a proficient level.

Back