Trip To New York: Afip Says $130 Usd Will Do

sergio

Registered
An Argentine friend is going to New York for ten days. Went to tax authorities with air ticket and required documents. Was authorized to buy $130 USD! One night in his hotel is $200. He'll be there for over a week.

$100 USD!!!

Why on Earth would someone want to buy $ 80 USD when $ 50 USD is more than enough? Tell him to buy just $ 30 USD, split them with you and bring me back some change.

He's obviously not paying his taxes. My Aunties best friends cat got $2000 from AFIP for a weeks stay in Las Vegas!1!!!11!!11 :rolleyes:

An Argentine friend is going to New York for ten days. Went to tax authorities with air ticket and required documents. Was authorized to buy $130 USD! One night in his hotel is $200. He'll be there for over a week.
It's about right. 6 peso a day is enough for Argentina and 6 dollars a day is enough for the USA with a few extra bucks thrown in to go see a Broadway show.

In all seriousness he is paying a LOT in tax. Says he is exhausted with the endless increases in tax and new regulations. And $130 is REALLY what they authorized him to buy. I suppose Cristina lived on that during her last trip - and her daughter is a student in New York, no?

Its been more than a year now since the cepo cambiario. Aren't you and your friend aware that there are no more USD in this country? If you want to travel and pay in pesos just suck it up and pay $7.25 or put everything on your Argentine credit card.

The last time I travelled to the USA I spent less than $100 USD in cash and I was able to put everything on my credit card. The US is probably the easiest place in the world to live with zero cash. Even the taxis in New York accept credit cards!!!!

Its been more than a year now since the cepo cambiario. Aren't you and your friend aware that there are no more USD in this country? If you want to travel and pay in pesos just suck it up and pay $7.25 or put everything on your Argentine credit card.

The last time I travelled to the USA I spent less than $100 USD in cash and I was able to put everything on my credit card. The US is probably the easiest place in the world to live with zero cash. Even the taxis in New York accept credit cards!!!!

And then get hit with the 15% tax from AFIP. And potentially another 50% in taxes for any goods you guy that total over $300. :rolleyes:

Yep, the dollar situation absolutely sux, no doubt about it.

In terms of practical solutions, el expatriado makes a good point, everywhere in the US accepts credit cards, as does Canada.

I would recommend making sure he has atleast 2, takes what he can get from AFIP and then buys some on the black market. Its not ideal, but unfortunately there arent many other options...

How long does this afip tramite actually take and how long would one wait for final approval? Trying to make my arg gf go to get some eur/usd approved for a 3-week trip to europe, but she's somewhat reluctant to spent an entire day at the afip offices... Any recent experience (first/second hand) greatly appreciated!

How long does this afip tramite actually take and how long would one wait for final approval? Trying to make my arg gf go to get some eur/usd approved for a 3-week trip to europe, but she's somewhat reluctant to spent an entire day at the afip offices... Any recent experience (first/second hand) greatly appreciated!

Did it in july and it took less than an hour to get the approval, then u go to the bank to change the money

Back