Troubling signs in the property market

What is the concern unless you are already investing in it for financial gain? IF it does crash which is unlikley it will provide buying opportunities for those who can take advantage.

What is the concern unless you are already investing in it for financial gain? IF it does crash which is unlikley it will provide buying opportunities for those who can take advantage.

Of course it concerns me as I have property here as it seems that the peak has passed . A buying opportunity must be combined with stability in government and a hopeful future . Properties in Caracas Venezuela are now U$ 10,000 for a two bedroom apartment would you buy there because you could take advantage of its cheap price?

I have never met anyone who has gotten a loan to buy a residence in CF. I know a couple of developers who have gotten short term financing to build or renovate commercial properties, but loans? This is simply not an issue that affects any expat, or, for that matter, any argentine, that I know.
As far as "peak"- peaks come and go, for millenia, they are strictly short term events. I have seen US property prices "peak" at least 4 times in my life, fall, and then rise again. If you have lived in Argentina long enough, you have seen prices rise, and fall.
In absolute dollar values, they may be higher now than ever, but factoring in inflation in the dollar over the decades, there were other times when property in Capital Federal was quite high in terms of earning power, and times when it was quite low.

Long term, people who buy residences to live in still need to have a place to live, and will continue to buy quality properties.
There may be a recession, or a dip, in the near future- Macri seems clueless to do anything- every time he tries to reverse a previous policy, it either irritates everyone, even his allies, or he backs down. I dont see an easy solution to present problems- but I also dont see the routine buying and selling of primary residences to halt completely. Very high end properties, like Puerto Madero tower apartments, may come down, but a basic house in Flores is still gonna sell, because people have to live somewhere.

Of course it concerns me as I have property here as it seems that the peak has passed . A buying opportunity must be combined with stability in government and a hopeful future . Properties in Caracas Venezuela are now U$ 10,000 for a two bedroom apartment would you buy there because you could take advantage of its cheap price?
Really ? I would buy a 2 bedroom for 10k, heck.

Back