Trump & Sanders Win The New Hampshire Primaries...

Migod! This is the way they count votes in Santa Cruz! Is Alicia one of Hillary's advisors?

Since I'm not a marxist, Bernie's not my guy, but wow! Is he getting screwed!

He's not getting screwed since it's not an actual election for public office. Its a party election and he knew the rules when he decided to run in that party. He could have ran as an independent, which is how he's identified himself for decades, but he decided to play in the democratic sandbox so he has to play by its rules.

I got a bad feeling about all this... just sayin :huh: So glad I live in South America.

He's not getting screwed since it's not an actual election for public office. Its a party election and he knew the rules when he decided to run in that party. He could have ran as an independent, which is how he's identified himself for decades, but he decided to play in the democratic sandbox so he has to play by its rules.
And you are very correct. By any standards other than the byzantine rules the politicians dream up to give their side advantage, it's a grotesque distortion of democracy. But you're right: if you say you're a Democrat then you agree to abide by the official Democrat rulebook.

So, depending on how the other states count votes, Hillary could get waxed by Bernie 60-40% down the line and still get the nomination. That would set her up beautifully for the general election.

Edit: Thought about it and realized I was reacting in empathy with folks like jantango who believe in the idea that, if the people get involved and speak up for their beliefs, they will prevail. Just another reminder that that isn't necessarily true when the deck has been stacked by the "professionals" before the deal.

And you are very correct. By any standards other than the byzantine rules the politicians dream up to give their side advantage, it's a grotesque distortion of democracy. But you're right: if you say you're a Democrat then you agree to abide by the official Democrat rulebook.

So, depending on how the other states count votes, Hillary could get waxed by Bernie 60-40% down the line and still get the nomination. That would set her up beautifully for the general election.

Edit: Thought about it and realized I was reacting in empathy with folks like jantango who believe in the idea that, if the people get involved and speak up for their beliefs, they will prevail. Just another reminder that that isn't necessarily true when the deck has been stacked by the "professionals" before the deal.

To wit: gerrymandering and the sudden concern over voter I.d.'s.

In the end Ed were just the frogs getting cooked one degree at a time. Is that what your saying?

To wit: gerrymandering and the sudden concern over voter I.d.'s.
Well, I wouldn't really lump these in the same basket. "Gerrymander" dates from 1812 (https://en.wikipedia.../Gerrymandering) and was just about born with the nation, so nothing new there. It does distort voting effectiveness but doesn't directly disenfranchise voters. On the ID issue, I've never understood why there's a problem with requiring voters to identify themselves. What other way is there to prevent fraud? The fact that some think it's being used for nefarious purposes is, to me, beside the point. Requiring voters to prove their identity seems very reasonable.

What the New Hampshire Democratic committee has done is blatant ignoring of their own voters' will and anti-democratically reassigning votes. All legal and acceptable because - well, because they can.

Voter id is sort of a fantasy problem just like what it's supposed to address, voter fraud.

I don't think democrats should pick a fight over it though. Just make sure everyone has ID.

Voter id is sort of a fantasy problem just like what it's supposed to address, voter fraud.

I don't think democrats should pick a fight over it though. Just make sure everyone has ID.
Sure, and that solves the problem.

Somehow it's turned into a "poor immigrant voters too dumb to get a valid ID" meme with bad ol' conservatives victimizing their innocence. Hard to believe that anyone smart enough to know how to vote (and wanting to) would be incapable of getting good ID. Kind of patronizing to think otherwise, isn't it?

I hope Sanders wins and becomes president.
New Hampshire Democratic voters agree. But Hillary with her 40% of the vote won the majority of the delegates, so you'll probably have to go to an alternate universe to see Bernie in the White House.

Back