Two factor SMS Codes

jeff1234

Registered
Has anyone figured out how to receive SMS codes from U S banks?
I’ve tried Google Fi and Google voice unsuccessfully out here in La Plata.

I'm from the UK but I guess the problem is the same. Very lo-tec answer here: I bought a cheap, multiband PAYG phone in the UK and I keep a small amount of credit on it. Whenever a bank or whatever sends me a verification code, it arrives in Argentina as a regular SMS. I'm regularly travelling back to the UK where I top it up, but if I didn't go back, I could still top it up over the internet.

I'm from the UK but I guess the problem is the same. Very lo-tec answer here: I bought a cheap, multiband PAYG phone in the UK and I keep a small amount of credit on it. Whenever a bank or whatever sends me a verification code, it arrives in Argentina as a regular SMS. I'm regularly travelling back to the UK where I top it up, but if I didn't go back, I could still top it up over the internet.
I bought a US chip Google Fi) but it doesn’t work well with Claro here. Does the multi band help you connect?

Yes. Plain old SMS uses the earliest legacy frequencies which differ from country to country. The four main frequencies will cover the combinations used in most countries. My phone is a primitive so-called "feature phone" I believe some, if not all, smartphones come with all four frequencies installed, but it's easy enough to check the full specification of a smartphone if you are not sure.

Bank of America didn’t work with GVoice for the longest time, and suddenly now they do.
Chase normally can do email as well.
What bank are you with?

Bank of America didn’t work with GVoice for the longest time, and suddenly now they do.
Chase normally can do email as well.
What bank are you with?

My problem with GVoice was getting the verification code to set up the GV account. I sent it, repeatedly to 3 different US phones but we never got their code. I may need to be in the US and send it to my own phone.

I'm with BofA. I use it to pay my bills and for the debit card. But as I mentioned above I might switch that over to Schwab. They are currently using email verifications and if I need to speak to them there's usually a minimum wait whereas BofA can be a long with.

Google Voice allows you to use an actual phone call for the message, rather than a text message.
As long as you have a US number - a VoIP number is fine - to take the call on, you’re good.
Once you have that up and running, you have a working number at least.

been using magic jack app in my cell phone successfully for this purpose since 2011.

but first you have to buy majic jack usb in usa and activate it while in us.

interesting. i use Fi and i've never had any issues receiving text messages like this for authentication.

i didn't think you could use GV on a phone with Fi.

interesting. i use Fi and i've never had any issues receiving text messages like this for authentication.

i didn't think you could use GV on a phone with Fi.

There are lots of variables, thats why I did this post. I'm using an Iphone 5S. Maybe a newer android phone would be better. Or a Google Pixel phone. I'm in Europe now and could buy one if I knew which would work (can't tell from reading reddit about Google Fi or Amazon phone reviews).

Back