Two questions about retiring to Argentina

Utopos

Registered
Hello everyone! I've been reading the forums here for months and find them both entertaining and informative. Many of you make me smile, others occasionally make me cringe, but with each post I read my desire to relocate increases. In part I'm searching for the answer to an unresolved question: "Is there life before death?" Not here in Florida... at least not for me. I'm retired and would be moving with the intention of staying permanently, in Buenos Aires for at least a few years, then possibly to a smaller city. Initially I have two questions: 1) Would the visa for retirement make renting any easier? With what I've read, I picture myself having to move often due to short-term rentals. Eventually I would like my own furnishing and settle in somewhere long term. Also, are there any benefits to retirement-type visa (beyond a secret decoder perhaps)? 2) While I believe my income is more than adequate, accessing it seems to be problematic. Is there anyone there who receives U.S. Social Security, which is part of my income? What is the best way to have ready access to it, or will I need to learn of every ATM in a 40 block radius from where I'll live? Thanks, and have a great day! (I tried to make separate paragraphs, really I did. I don't mind being stupid, I just hate proving it!)

we retired here two years ago and just received our visa and DNI....the process of getting the visa was long and hectic...we did it all ourselves with lots of mistakes....but it does make us "legal," and now we could rent an apartment for a two year period at lower rates than the temp rentals we have been doing..(also inter argentine flights are much cheaper with a DNI, also you can then open an argentine bank account but we just use our US bank account ) Most of the long term rentals are unfurnished and you pay utilities and fees instead of the landlord as in temp rentals, so for us ,despite the higher price of temp rentals, we like them better. We could have extended our leases at most of our temp rentals if we had wanted. we plan to keep changing barrios with temp rentals for at least a year more though....its a great way to get a feel of the different areas before settling into one (and after 20 years in the same dinky Oregon town of 300, I am loving being a transient big city person!) You can bring 10.000 cash down with you, and ATMs with max withdrawal of 1000 pesos arent that hard to deal with. If you do think you might want to get a visa, there is stuff you need to do before you come down, like getting birthcertificates, any changes of name, FBI check, letter from social security stating amount you get each month, all apostatized.....then when you get down here you will need to get them translated and notarized by an official argentine translator, then wait in a bunch of lines at immigration.....there is a gov site on the web that spells all this out....our social security income was more than enough to qualify for a visa, and we still have it direct deposited in our US bank account.....hope this helps and that we see you down here soon write me a personal message and we can meet for wine or coffee!

If your social security income alone is greater then $750 USD per month you will have no trouble getting a visa pensionado (almost the same as the rentista). It will make it easier to stay here "legally" with peace of mind, but as others have posted, living here on an expired tourist visa is not a crime. It is also acceptable to leave and reenter the country the same day whether your visa has expired or not.

As far as renting is concerned, it is somewhat difficult but not impossible to rent long term (UNFURNISHED) without a guarantee from another property owner, but it will help if you have a resident visa and a DNI.

This is all good advice. The only thing I would add is that I wouldn't expect to find Argentina cheaper currently as a place to retire, my guess the cost of living is going to be the same or higher were you are at. Also if you are on social security you also get medicare, here you can buy insurance but the cost goes quite a bit higher after 65(can be quite a bit more costly than medicare), and I've also heard a lot plans won't take you if you are new and over 65.

Thanks for the info. It will take some time for me to settle affairs here (financial ;=). I'm well over the income threshold, and well under the age of 65. Now about those pesky paragraphs...

By the way, I do not think it will cheaper to live there. All things considered, if cost were the determining factor I would probably stay here. Fortunately it is not.

gouchobob said:
.....here you can buy insurance but the cost goes quite a bit higher after 65(can be quite a bit more costly than medicare), and I've also heard a lot plans won't take you if you are new and over 65.

I would love to hear more on this topic. I'm looking in to bringing a parent down with me and was thrilled with the info I picked up on SwissMedical plans... but I never thought they would cut off at certain age.

ouch.....

Mom is over 65 and will be 66 by the time she gets to BA.. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to learn more about health care options for her..?

chico said:
I would love to hear more on this topic. I'm looking in to bringing a parent down with me and was thrilled with the info I picked up on SwissMedical plans... but I never thought they would cut off at certain age.

ouch.....

Mom is over 65 and will be 66 by the time she gets to BA.. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to learn more about health care options for her..?

Your best bet is to go to Swiss Medical and ask the questions yourself. My understanding is that at least some of the plans don't want to take new people over the age of 65 or so, if you already had coverage they will continue to provide it but at a much higher cost. I think there are some other options available but with much more limited coverage. I am not intimately familiar with each plan and you might just have do visit a lot of them to see what is on offer.

Health care does increase dramatically around age 65. Each plan is different but I'd say that you should expect an increase of at least 50%. I think there are some companies that will take your mother at 66. The Italian Hospital is said to be more flexible, maybe the British Hospital too. I'd start by asking the best providers (OMINT, Medicus, OSDE etc) first and if you have no luck try other plans. Someone told me that his uncle returned to Argentina at age 80 after 30 years in the US and needed health insurance so he made a deal with one of these plans and paid $30,000 USD as a kind of initiation fee and was allowed to join. The problem in Argentina is that you find out things indirectly. Little information is provided and if you are without contacts, don't know the system and possibly don't speak Spanish you are at a huge disadvantage. About renting, the big issue is getting a guarantor. If you can't find a person willing to take full legal responsibility for you, you will not be able to rent on local terms. This was such an issue for me that I found it easier to buy and that is what I did. Cost of living: a few things remain cheaper but overall prices are the same or higher than in medium size or small cities in the US and quality is quite definitely lower. The higher costs of everyday items will be very noticeable. Every trip I take back to the US makes me aware of this.

chico said:

ouch.....

The top-rated Hospital Italiano has a special plan for people between 65 and 80. I believe it is something like US$ 150 a month, all inclusive.

As far as I know, it is the only one. All other HMOs have a cutoff age of 65.

Back