UBA Spanish classes: CUI vs LAB

cassiem13

Registered
I've been looking into taking Spanish classes at la UBA, and could have sworn I'd heard something about semester-long classes. I work and earn pesos, so I don't have the time or money for intensive courses. From what I gather, though, there is the Centro Universitario de Idiomas, and the Language Lab, both part of UBA, but each part of a different facultad, no?

I was wondering about quality: what have been your experiences there? Which would you recommend? I think the lab has more of the schedule I want, but quality is important, too. I speak at a low-advanced level (I think?), having studied for years and lived here for 8 months so far, but I feel like I need some brushing up on vocab and a lot of the grammar points that I've forgotten after studying but then not using the Spanish regularly for years. I'd love any input! Thanks!

You are right, two different facultades run each one. But they are both legitimate institutes, so it doesn’t really make much difference.

I went to CUI when I first came here in 2008. You take a test to test into your level. I took the Level 7 class, and it really was a BIG help. I finally really GOT the subjunctive, but there was not a lot of required intensive study or work outside of class, which would have been more helpful.

We did mutual “cultural outings” with the Lab people. I met some Lab people who felt like the grass was greener on our side, like we did better lessons, but that was hard for me to evaluate because it was just their casual impression. I also met some other students on the cultural outing in the CUI 5 class who were not all that blown away with their class.

I think it more has to do with your teacher. Plus, I think your personal motivation and love of studying Spanish has a lot to do with it. Some people are pragmatic about their study; they are here, love BA, but feel like they “should” get better but it is more of a chore.

Maybe you could go to each, take the entry exam and ask to sit in one class, even for a small fee. Then, report back on your findings.

Back