Uber Is Gaining Momentum

TrevorCito

Registered
I went out for dinner with my wife last night and we took uber. It was delightful. New cars, no cash and a friendly drivers. We weren't abducted and the car didn't crash or explode in a ball of flames.

Did we break the law? Who knows but some might argue that citizens are obligated to take matters into their own hands in the face of tyranny... alias the Bsas taxi mafia.

Just today I encountered a super nice UBER driver in the US.

He had cellphone chargers of various types inside his car and I was charging my phone. We were having a superb conversation about his escapades with his clients ( aka hot girls) who had used his car in recent months and I forgot my phone in his car after I arrived at the airport.

But he was super nice. After 20 minutes he came back to return my phone while I was still checking in.

Salute to UBER in USA. You guys rock!

Took an uber back from the colon on Friday. Usually impossible to find a cab when the opera gets out since everyone is looking for one. We called for an uber and at 11:30pm on a Friday we got someone in 5 min.

The uber driver was nice as usual, turned out we were sort of neighbors, we chatted about some neighborhood gossip, his kids, the show, etc. The car was one of the better ones. A premium trim ford ranger, tons of leg room, comfortable seats and when we got home to coghlan and were getting out the driver reached into a bag in the center console and produced a "Bon o Bon" chocolate as a courtesy. I have never had that kind of service from a taxi driver!

Then there was the price.

FARE BREAKDOWN
Base Fare 15,00
Distance (10.99km) 49,48
Time (24m 34s) 42,99
Subtotal 107.47

That's cheap for that ride yet perfectly reflects why ubers pricing is better. Uber is only modestly cheaper for your every day ride in traffic but for any type of cross town low traffic trips it's far cheaper which in my opinion more accurately represents a fair price for two journeys.

Edit to mention that Friday's ride would have cost between 198 and 250 pesos based on the online taxi fare calculators. It also most certainly would not have been in a ford ranger and there certainly wouldn't have been candy.

I went out for dinner with my wife last night and we took uber. It was delightful. New cars, no cash and a friendly drivers. We weren't abducted and the car didn't crash or explode in a ball of flames.

Did we break the law? Who knows but some might argue that citizens are obligated to take matters into their own hands in the face of tyranny... alias the Bsas taxi mafia.
a good way to break the law if that's breaking the law, union needs to die.

Based on the experience on other cities with Uber, the service of taxi will improve and taxi drivers will appreciate your business more.
The taxi is so cheap in China, that everyone can afford to take taxi, even the street vendor dude takes taxi. It was extremely hard to catch a taxi.
When you are in the car, the driver was very rude and dirty, who does not appreciate your business when he has 10 people try to step in the car whenever he makes a stop, he feels that he gives you a chance by letting you in. Uber and a few local Uber like companies destroyed that, took over 50% of the business. Suddenly taxi drivers become very polite and appreciate your business, the taxi companies give them a better split, taxi drivers also can make a living. Initially taxi drivers were on strike or patrolling the city like idiots and also threaten to kill themselves.
To make the long story short, it worked out very well. Only the taxi companies (like the unions here) make less $ and everyone else wins!

Good luck Uber! Although I do t take taxis, I'm glad they are here! Bienvenidos sean!

As the Japanese soft sell marketing slogan once put it,"The consumer is king (or queen) ".
if you have a credit card and want to use it to take a taxi instead of paying cash then do so.It's your right to choose.
I have one but the greater majority of local taxi takers still do not or prefer to pay cash.For whatever reason in 38 years of taking taxis here I have had only one bad experience
However,I do strongly agree with Garryl that wth Uber's competition the unions will take notice and the service should improve.

if you have a credit card and want to use it to take a taxi instead of paying cash then do so.It's your right to choose.
I have one but the greater majority of local taxi takers still do not or prefer to pay cash.
Do you see the problem that Uber solves, then?
Also, here are some interesting insights from the Guardian on a Pew study of Uber and AirBnB users. Apparently most of these folks are self-described left-wingers, but surprisingly believe that these services should be subject to less regulation than taxis and hotels. https://www.theguard...vey-airbnb-uber

joeschmoe1920:
I have seen clearly from the onset the problem that Uber solves.My hesitation stemed mainly from the timing with their launch here in here in the BA market.
Initially,I thought it might have been causing an unnecessary union drawback to Macri's economic planning.However,as time goes on I see that it's not the real hassle that I imagined it was going to be.

Back