Ultima Prórroga

KevinJH

Registered
This makes me a bit confused.... In November of 2012 I extended my tourist Visa and they stamped my passport with Ultima Prórroga until January 31, 2013. I left Argentina in December of 2012 to go to the USA and returned February 5th, 2013. My new tourist visa is valid until May 5th, 2013 (this Sunday). Since then I got married (last December) to my Argentine partner in December of 2012 and I have been preparing my documents for Permanent Residency. Today (May 2nd) I had my first turn for Permanent Residency. My certified domicile document wasn't quite right (which I corrected later today). My new turn is May 9th, however, my tourist Visa expires this Sunday, May 5th. Since I have Ultima Prórroga stamped in my passport from a previous tourist visa good until the end of January 2013 - what should I do? Should I go to Migraciones again to renew it and pay $300? Or should I go to Uruguay? I am assuming my passport (Visa) needs to vaild and current before my May 9th Permanent Residency turn/appointment? Will I have any problems? One last question - what is meant by "MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE TO PROVE THE LINK INVOKED AND NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD OF THE ENTAILMENT GIVER?" I have the marriage certificate and the booklet, but I am confused what the National Identity Card of the Entailment Giver refers to??? Is that the document of my spouse? Or is it something else? Thanks a ton BA Expats!!!

Today (May 2nd) I had my first turn for Permanent Residency. My certified domicile document wasn't quite right (which I corrected later today). My new turn is May 9th, however, my tourist Visa expires this Sunday, May 5th. Since I have Ultima Prórroga stamped in my passport from a previous tourist visa good until the end of January 2013 - what should I do? Should I go to Migraciones again to renew it and pay $300? Or should I go to Uruguay? I am assuming my passport (Visa) needs to vaild and current before my May 9th Permanent Residency turn/appointment? Will I have any problems?

I'm surprised you didn't ask these question at migraciones when you were there, but if you didn't think of them until after your appointment you obviously couldn't ask.

A trip to Uruguay is not required and if you go before your ultima prorroga expires you will not be given 90 more days. If you go after it expires you will have to pay the fine when you leave and you might only get ten days, so DON"T GO TO URUGUAY.

If you go back to migraciones now they probably won't allow you to renew or extend your ultima prorroga but I don't think it will make any difference. This was brought up not very long ago in a previous thread. You are already "in the system with" your tramite for permanent residency and they may not even charge you the $300 peso overstay fee. If they do you will pay it at the same time you pay the $600 pesos for your permanent residency.

If you aren't comfortable with this answer I suggest you return to migraciones today and ask them yourself.

One last question - what is meant by "MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE TO PROVE THE LINK INVOKED AND NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD OF THE ENTAILMENT GIVER?" I have the marriage certificate and the booklet, but I am confused what the National Identity Card of the Entailment Giver refers to??? Is that the document of my spouse? Or is it something else? Thanks a ton BA Expats!!!

The National Identity Card of the Entailment Giver is your partner's Argentine DNI.

Sounds very similar to my situation around the time I got married (thanks again to the forum and all the great advice and support at that time!!). I was told that as long as you have entered the country legally, you can proceed with the residency you are entitled to whether your visa stamp is expired or not. Since there are those rare cases of problems with reentry, I would not recommend an Uruguay run. Rather, get the residency process rolling before leaving the country again.

Your mileage may vary. It's a bit as if the clerk standing in front of you at any given moment *is* the law here, or their special version of it anyway. So asking migraciones where you're handling this is in fact a good idea.

. Rather, get the residency process rolling before leaving the country again.

Kevin already has his residency process rolling.

It started when he made the appointment on line for his first face to face meeting with migraciones.

(I'm just adding this so he knows for sure.)

I'm surprised you didn't ask these question at migraciones when you were there, but if you didn't think of them until after your appointment you obviously couldn't ask.

A trip to Uruguay is not required and if you go before your ultima prorroga expires you will not be given 90 more days. If you go after it expires you will have to pay the fine when you leave and you might only get ten days, so DON"T GO TO URUGUAY.

If you go back to migraciones now they probably won't allow you to renew or extend your ultima prorroga but I don't think it will make any difference. This was brought up not very long ago in a previous thread. You are already "in the system with" your tramite for permanent residency and they may not even charge you the $300 peso overstay fee. If they do you will pay it at the same time you pay the $600 pesos for your permanent residency.

If you aren't comfortable with this answer I suggest you return to migraciones today and ask them yourself.

The National Identity Card of the Entailment Giver is your partner's Argentine DNI.
I Thanks for all the feed back. I really appreciate it. ... and yes, I should have stuck around and asked while at Migraciones .....but I needed to get out and make an important call back to the States and I was running behind. So the Ultima Prorroga in my passport was from a 90 day extension back at the end of 2012. I then left the country for 2 months, when I reentered I got a "new" stamp for 90 days. It is this stamp that expires this Sunday, May 5th. And yes, I have started the ball moving and am in the "system" for Permanent Residency and I return for a 2nd try on May 9th. So if I understood the responses correct, the advice is to do nothing and let my new 90 day visa expire and come May 9th to my PR turn where they may or may not charge me for an extension fee along with my 600 peso Permanent Residency fee, correct? Sorry if I sound like a broken record .....

I think you're good since you are en tramite. I have a friend who has left Argentina a couple times without her paperwork in order and she didn't have to pay the fine or have any problems reentering the country, so I think they accept an expired tourist visa as long as you are in the process of getting your residency in order! Congratulations!

Back