Underrated Cities in Argentina

Api

Registered
Companion thread to Perry's "Is Rosario Underrated?"

Outside of the often mentioned Mendoza, Cordoba, Bariloche...which cities have all of you found particularly enjoyable? I never hear much about cities such as San Juan, San Luis, Corrientes, etc.

And perhaps, which ones not so much...

Delete...

Thread here -

I revisited the north-west a few weeks ago. I still like Salta for many reasons, including the arts and culture which seem to thrive there. I'm fascinated by Tucuman though I think it has become even more dirty and polluted than it was when I previously visited. But the surprise was Jujuy. This was my first visit to Jujuy and I found it a lively, bustling place build on a human scale such that you can walk from one side to the other in an afternoon (DAMHIKT). I'm told that the city and the province used to be in thrall to certain -erme- "vested interests" which have only recently been thrown off. Maybe this has something to do with the sense of optimism around and about.

Changing the subject title to Under Water Cities in Argentina, I've heard so much about Villa Epecuén that I think I'd like to go and see it for myself. I'm sure I could Google this for myself but if there are any personal recommendations for traveling down, hotels/hostels/hospitajes which are not too far away etc. etc. I'd be interested to hear them. I always use public transport so any suggestions about local buses, remises & taxi firms would be handy too.

Comments on the best cities on Coast From Verisso to Necochea.San Bernardo, Gessel Mardel, Pinamar, etc.

I revisited the north-west a few weeks ago. I still like Salta for many reasons, including the arts and culture which seem to thrive there. I'm fascinated by Tucuman though I think it has become even more dirty and polluted than it was when I previously visited. But the surprise was Jujuy. This was my first visit to Jujuy and I found it a lively, bustling place build on a human scale such that you can walk from one side to the other in an afternoon (DAMHIKT). I'm told that the city and the province used to be in thrall to certain -erme- "vested interests" which have only recently been thrown off. Maybe this has something to do with the sense of optimism around and about.

Fascinated by Tucuman in a good sense, or that you were impressed at how an already dirty and polluted place became even more so?

Fascinated by Tucuman in a good sense, or that you were impressed at how an already dirty and polluted place became even more so?
Heheheh. Bear in mind I've never lived there and only visited for a few days at a time so I've not got the insight of a resident. And remember, for a resident and for Argentine visitors it is a very important place in the national story. It's busy. It bustles. People are always going somewhere, doing something and in my opinion there's a sort of buzz about the place. It feels like a working class city - I have no problem with that - but looking for a middle-class culture, if that's your sort of thing, can be hard work. It's also a very densely populated city with very few of the breathing green spaces in the centres of city blocks that you find all over CABA - see one person's personal solution to this in the attached picture.

Tucuman 2019.JPGTucuman 2019.JPGI'd visit again, even if they don't clean up the air and the streets, though I hope they do.

Reactions: Api

A city that is completely underated and is damn beautiful is Parana Entre Rios . The people are exceptionally friendly as well .

Back